Bleed out your fish?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallijig

Reaction score
Around here lot of fishermen on way to dock cut throat of their fish, throw them in livewell to bleed out.
Reason being lot less bloody when cleaning, fish does not flop around when cleaning, and meat is whiter. No ned to soak and get blood out if any.
Anyone do this?

Can't say I've heard of that. What species? Couldn't see this being necessary with walleye or pike

I know people do that with deer, which is stupid IMO.

know it's done with shad. main reason from what I've heard, is that when the row is to be consumed all the small veins around the egg sacks have way less blood in them.

I've heard this being done with large catfish, but the cut the tail off as I remember, and then hang it tail down and let the blood run out.

Here it's done mostly by walleye fishermen. I have not done this, but from feed back from other fishermen says it makes a huge difference on how less messy and white meat is when cleaning. Plus do not have fish flopping when take knife to it.

Heard of this being done on drum and asian carp. Buddy tells me that when drum is properly bled out immediately and put on ice, it can be blackened and makes an excellent meal.

I always bleed them as soon as I kill them. Ill usually gut them and pull the gills out. If you clean them well and then throw them on ice the meat is better. You dont have to but you get better quality meat if you do. Also never let them soak in the sink, they soak up water and you get mushy meat. [-X

We usually bleed out our trout and salmon. Cut the gills and run a rope through the mouth and gills and tie it off the side of the boat for 5 minutes or so while getting back to trolling. Haven't tried it with walleyes, but may consider it now.

Latest posts