Blind Alum. Rivets - Which grade for marine use?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
....Probably overthinking this one too!!!!

I will need some 3/16" blind rivets for reattaching my aluminum floor and a few other projects. A few questions about rivet selection:

1. Is there such a thing as Marine Grade aluminum rivets? If so, what are specs?
Example of what this website refers to as marine grade...
Marine Grade Aluminum Rivets

2. Rivets are sold nearly everywhere...Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, local hardware stores....how can you determine the better grades when no information is provided on packages?

3. How is appropriate length determined (how much rivet body is needed past sandwiched material)?

4. Rivet head....Dome Head, Large Flange Head, Countersunk Head....is it the same selection process as you would on stainless bolts?

Thanks!

1 & 2 - I’d buy aluminum body and mandrel ones from Jay Cee rivetsonline.com or McMaster-Care, where you can be assured of the quality.

3 - Grip range is factored by … ‘how total thick’ are the pieces you’re joining?

4 - Head shape … I’d need more details for where installed, or pictures, but if on the floor where you’re going to walk on it … they do make a counter-sunk head.

Thanks DaleH--
I'll look into Jay Cee sales.

If 1/4" total thickness of material (two approx. 1/8" alum plates - i.e., floor and angle combined equal approx. 3/16" to 1/4" thick)....is that a 1/2" or 3/4 long rivet that is needed?
How much longer than total thickness is the rule of thumb?
They are not placed where you step, so the standard dome or large flange head should be fine.

Latest posts