Boat cover water repellent?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have one of the cheaper covers protecting my tin boat.
Academy Marine Raider. It’s been a real good cover and I’m trying to keep it that way.
Its not repelling the water like it used to. It’s not leaking , yet. Unless it gets a puddle that sits for awhile then it drips through in the boat.
Does anybody have the same cover and what do you use for a water repellent? I bought some Star Brite but after reading the label it says it could damage some of the cheaper polyester covers because it’s petroleum based. They make a water base but no one around here has it.
Has anyone used a petroleum base repellent on these covers or should I order the water base? And what about silicone? Would it hurt?

Some of those products don't cost a heck of a lot less than the cover you're describing. There's a spray that the camping stores sell for tents. Don't know whether its petroleum based, but I doubt it since its also supposed to be a fire retardant. I'd bet that the silicone wouldn't hurt.

I have used silicone in the past, works good but didnt last long. Have also used Thompsons water sealant, they make products for different materials. Have used the fabric version on tarps, old covers etc with good results as far as waterproofing goes, but does make the fabric stiffer!

My Carver cover will leak through if water is allowed to puddle. A lot of problems can be avoided by tenting the cover so that water runs off.

Put a 4' stick (like a tent post) on the centerline and tie lines forward to the bow and back to the transom. Put the cover over and tie down the sides. Water will run off and there will be much happiness.

I think there was a member on here who posted this idea of mixing 50% silicone and 50% mineral spirits together and applying it to waterproof various substrates, boat covers, backpacks, etc. I made up about a couple tablespoons of this mixture and did repel water on an cut up portion of t-shirt. I have no idea how long it would last out in the elements.

Nylon type cover material is best with a silicone waterproofing, however a heavy type canvas is much better suited with a canvass waterproofing material. Best results will depend on what the cover material is, and get a product to match. Years back we had an older camper with canvass type of cover, bought a canvass waterproofing material that was brushed and rolled on with a paint roller. Messy and stunk until it dried, then completely waterproof for the 3 years we owned it.

My Carver cover will leak through if water is allowed to puddle. A lot of problems can be avoided by tenting the cover so that water runs off.

Put a 4' stick (like a tent post) on the centerline and tie lines forward to the bow and back to the transom. Put the cover over and tie down the sides. Water will run off and there will be much happiness.
I have built a frame out of pvc pipe. It runs the length of the boat with 4 or 5 t’s with pipe going to the floor and t’s in them for the legs. It sits up about 8” above the top of the boat. It works great. The pipe was from when I switched to a drip irrigation system in the garden.

Nylon type cover material is best with a silicone waterproofing, however a heavy type canvas is much better suited with a canvass waterproofing material. Best results will depend on what the cover material is, and get a product to match. Years back we had an older camper with canvass type of cover, bought a canvass waterproofing material that was brushed and rolled on with a paint roller. Messy and stunk until it dried, then completely waterproof for the 3 years we owned it.
It has polyester in it. I found a water based repellent that says it’s safe on polyester. I’m going to see how it goes. I need to clean the cover again first. I swept it off today with a broom and had a lot of dust. Welcome to Texas. Lol

Well I cleaned the cover with Woolite and a soft brush. Looks new.
Started applying the repellent I found fallowing the instructions and your supposed to let it dry and apply a second coat. It was a big spray bottle but it didn’t make it for the first coat. I was even using a foam brush to help spread it evenly. I ordered a second bottle. Then found out 10 more bucks and I could get a new cover.
I’m done with the cheap covers. I’ve put a lot of time in rebuilding the old boat. Working on the flooring system now then new front deck. It’s an old boat but I’m going to protect my work.

Well I cleaned the cover with Woolite and a soft brush. Looks new.
Started applying the repellent I found fallowing the instructions and your supposed to let it dry and apply a second coat. It was a big spray bottle but it didn’t make it for the first coat. I was even using a foam brush to help spread it evenly. I ordered a second bottle. Then found out 10 more bucks and I could get a new cover.
I’m done with the cheap covers. I’ve put a lot of time in rebuilding the old boat. Working on the flooring system now then new front deck. It’s an old boat but I’m going to protect my work.

I tried to clean my cover with soapy water and a soft brush. Im not impressed with the result. Mine is pretty stained. How did you apply the Woolite - mixed in a bucket of water, or ??

I tried to clean my cover with soapy water and a soft brush. Im not impressed with the result. Mine is pretty stained. How did you apply the Woolite - mixed in a bucket of water, or ??
I poured two capfuls in a 3 gallon bucket of water. I Was having to scrub to much so I added another capful and started getting the area ahead wet with a hose then I would apply the soapy water ahead of myself so it would soak a bit before scrubbing. I kept it soapy until I rinsed it.Removed all the dirt and oak tree junk. It’s got a couple of small stains that wouldn’t come out. Other than that it worked. Just took a couple of hours.
I want a cover I can spray something on and pressure wash. Or take it to the laundromat and use the big machine.

The life of a boat cover can be lengthened when the cover is properly supported and stretched over the boat. If you have a track around the gunnel it’s easy to make a pvc frame to support an oversized cover (i.e. 20’ cover on an 18’ boat). I made small L brackets that insert into the gunnel to hold the pvc in place. Takes about 5 minutes to set up the frame then the cover is easy to pull over it. It’s also road worthy. Below are pics of my cover and frame from this summer when I was refitting my boat.

DEBEA40B-2209-4E61-A1B4-A19CF1275A42.jpeg6FFDDD87-77B1-4544-9CEB-F48FD8F31E43.jpegFB1A1AD7-6FDF-4E18-8700-8C432EDD7F4A.jpegAF14DBE4-88EE-4921-A5FF-97ADD7D2E0D8.jpeg

Latest posts