Boat seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CLAYMAKER said:
Just got new 16ft tinny with 25 on it.

Bench seat is alluninum top and I'd like to add two swivel seats. How do I go about securing it down? [/img][/url]

On my 16 Starcraft, I put wood overlay on the metal seats to save burning my butt in the Florida sun. I bolted 2 hardwood strips to the swivel, then drove #14 sheet metal screws down thru the wood and deep into the aluminum. So far - 1 year - they're still rock solid.

ATTACH]

For the folding grab bar, it needs to be immovable, so I took that seat completely out of the boat and slid the foam out. Bolted the bar in with SS bolts and re-installed.

Where on Vancouver Island are you located ?? Campbell River is one of my favorite places on the planet and had some wonderful adventures there.....my favorite was the Sea Otters in Quatsino Sound. If anyone's interested, I have a picture story online of that trip that I can share the URL with.

So you cut to fit hardwood down did you seal it? I can't access under the seat it's all alluninum riveted together but I want wood seat and then attach swivel to it and be able to have a more comfortable seat on it. I like the idea of two wood rails to secure it.
I'll have to figure out how to post pictures tonight and get some uploaded

Back when I had my smaller tinney, I made a U shaped from wood that stradled over the aluminum tank seat and used a couple bungee cords to go under the tank seat and attach to the bottom of the U shaped wood frame. Then attached my swivel seat to that U shaped frame. Simple quick and very sturdy, best part is by loosening the bungee cord I was free to slide the seat from one side to the other. Being only a 14 ft boat that was sometimes needed to balance the weight when passengers were on board.

I had a non accessible bench compartment also. I made a backer board of HDPE (Starboard) and drilled it for the swivel. I put stainless tee nuts on the bottom so I could change out the swivel if needed. I installed the HDPE to the aluminum bench with self tapping screws and som LocTite on the threads.

The idea is to put a big enough foot print where you won’t “oil can” the aluminum.

5091525F-A4AA-4A74-95A2-27DA1C14FE71.jpegBD9D7F9F-B785-4DEF-BA2D-01165E0061EE.jpeg73A8FC17-6596-4E00-BC3B-D226AA5397B2.jpeg

CLAYMAKER said:
So you cut to fit hardwood down did you seal it? I can't access under the seat it's all alluninum riveted together but I want wood seat and then attach swivel to it and be able to have a more comfortable seat on it. I like the idea of two wood rails to secure it.
I'll have to figure out how to post pictures tonight and get some uploaded

Regular lumber that wide is ferociously expensive, but I found some laminated boards at Lowe's for around $20 each. I sealed them with regular urethane and learned the hard way that it wasn't exterior rated and the boards de-laminated. Re-gluing them with Gorilla Glue, then re-coating them with urethane equivalent to marine spar varnish was a considerable job but now they're good and they look great.

I like Sonny's idea of a large backer board better than my 2 rails, esp. if heavier people are going to be using it, but think I'd use plywood instead. I just used what I had handy.

Don't know how big an area you want to clean, but the first thought I had was to use GOOP or Orange Stuff...both work fine on hands that are begrimed.

Turpentine? Paint thinner? Shouldn't be too challenging to find something.

Best wishes.

Latest posts