Boat towing ins. Who are you using and $$$?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I keep one tinny in Texas, and the other in TN.

So, I need towing coverage for both FW lakes the Saltwater Flats in Texas ( no offshore, just 16 and 17 ft. boats) and coverage on the major Tenn. lakes (Chickamauga, Watts Bar, Melton Hill, etc.).

Also, I may want insurance for a breakdown while towing the boat. I don't think that my present AAA auto insurance will tow the boat and trailer, but I am not sure.

I presently have Boat US and am considering changing. Policy expires soon.

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
thanks, richg99

Trailer Towing - I use Boat/US, as to me, the unlimited trailer towing coverage for $14 is a no brainer. My twin brother needed to use it once - on the 1st day of his 2-week vacation - and he had a flatbed right there on the side of the highway in 20-minutes to pick him up.

Not only that, the driver delivered the boat to his vacation rental home and they dropped the boat in the water, then the driver dropped off the trailer at the nearest boat dealer to be fixed. Sure can't beat that~!

On the Water Towing - Whereas I'm now into a bigger boat (21') I got the full agreed upon value & liability policy also from Boat/US (who uses GEICO). To add on the water towing only cost me $30 more than the price quoted for the policy.

I have only made 1 claim with Boat/US ... when a new OB blew up and they paid me more than I paid for the motor! Had the check within 2-weeks to boot.

... zero experiences with any other insurance company, but would advise staying away from Progressive! Word is that they spend more on their commercials than they pay out in claims :shock: !

I use State Farm for everything and I have a lot of policies. Renters, truck, 2 snowmobiles, 2 enclosed trailers, 2 boats, 2 4 wheelers, a street bike and a personal article for my camera equipment. They have been great on the two claims I have made.

Thanks, guys. The main part of this policy is for someone to come and tow my BOAT back to the dock if the engine or something else fails while I am out fishing in some backwater slough. Worse yet, I might be out in the middle of some heavy weather and I have to be towed back in. That can cost a thousand dollars depending on where you are when you break down if you have no coverage.

In 50/60 years of boating, I only had to call a service ONCE. It's a long story, but, suffice to say, the service wasn't up to the task.

Anyhow, for the Boat Towing part, it seems that only two organizations have their own boats and do that service well. Seatow and Towboat US.

But, SeaTow doesn't have their own towing boats on any of the three main Tennessee lakes that I frequent in the summer. So, I am going to go back to TowBoatUS, which is part of Boat US.

I now have double trailer coverage. Once through my AAA membership, and again through the TowBoatUS coverage. You might check your own vehicle coverage and ask what happens if you break down while towing your boat.

Problem solved. rich

State Farm auto insurance, When any of my trailers are hooked up to my truck, they fall under the same coverage as the truck.
If a breakdown of trailer or truck, I pay out of pocket and SF will reimburse me.
I also have AAA Platinum, in Northern Cal they provide Trailer coverage, be it my Boat, Travel trailer or utility trailer.
The other good thing about AAA is the DMV services,, never a line and always a pleasant experience, and for me that pays for it self!
As far as On the water towing,,,I bought two 10' light weight Oars! And have a dedicated trolling motor battery!
Came in handy a few years ago way back in the far reaches of a good fishing lake!
Boat Motor failed to start, had to use the trolling motor to get me back out to the main body of the lake!!
Used my portable air horn and my caution flag to signal another fisherman,, He hooked me up and towed me back to the dock,, Gave him a few cold beers from my cooler and $20!
No Salt Water for me!

I have BoatUS, that includes towing on the water or the highway. $140/yr?

I also have Travelers insurance on both of my big boats $231/yr per boat. It includes towing on the water.

I hate paying, but since I fish in saltwater mostly, it is pretty necessary.

-TH

Latest posts