bottom paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2020

Reaction score
I purchased a 2010 G3 1860 that has been trailer kept. I would like to leave it in a slip for 2 weeks at a time or less. I know I should use copper free paint, if I do paint. I also consider just washing the bottom with ON/OFF, muriatic acid, or Dollar Tree toilet bowl cleaner that I used on my fiberglass boat. What's your advice?

My advise ... try no bottom paint 1st and see how it works for you? If painting, you MUST prep and prime it, I'd wash hull with white vinegar and rinse well, then prime with a 2-part zinc chromate 'etching' primer and then paint. See? this iswork and gets expen$ive ... so try it without it first.

If left too long, the scum line could be hard to remove. Honestly, I'd probably use liquid Bar Keepers Friend, as it is an oxlaxic (sp?) acid base, is a darn good cleaner and arguably the BEST VALUE when buying it in the large bottle at Wally-World et al.

It is also AWESOME for stainless steel too! And yes, is safe for tin boats, see picture.

BKF.jpg

Avoid ablative paint if you can. Avoid any paint if you can.
Leaving a boat in the water for two weeks is usually no big deal and you can scrub it on the trailer.

I got this paint and then it sat for 2 years before I used it, and I felt this bottom paint is among the few products that deliver excellent results as advertised. When I went to use it, it had no skin and was ready to go. I rolled and tipped four coats on my speed boat and it looks very good. It has tons of gloss and seems pretty durable as I continue to rig my boat.

I recommend wax, you can add Cayenne pepper to it to prevent growth of marine organisms. Commercial Fibreglass (with gelcoat) vessels use this to great effect for 90 days between hull cleaning and rewaxing.

I just painted my 14/54 Lone * Star w/Gator Glide. I used the base & the G2 finish coats (5 ea). That bottom feels slicker than ...not !! :giggle: I hope it looses less speed for I am close to 300 lbs & will be running only a 9.5 Evinrude. 😳

I just painted my 14/54 Lone * Star w/Gator Glide. I used the base & the G2 finish coats (5 ea). That bottom feels slicker than ...not !! :giggle: I hope it looses less speed for I am close to 300 lbs & will be running only a 9.5 Evinrude. 😳
How easy was it to apply the paint?

How easy was it to apply the p

How easy was it to apply the paint?
To be honest, it was easier than the directions and video's prepared me for :
I did find it better to wait 30 min after the coats were finished being laid than to estimate 30 min from the 1st portion and start there again. The more time you wait , the easier it rolls on thin. But , there is a time limit. The next coat must bond w/ the previous coat chemically so an hour wait would be too long for sure.
It's true that the 1st 2 coats need re-rolling to flatten or spread out the layer so pass back over it at about 7 min intervals if you have a large area to paint. The 3rd & 4th (or 5th) don't bunch up (fisheye) near as much and cover very well. But still, roll a 2nd pass to flatten them out.
I was very happy w/the finished product. I'll have photo's coming of the finish G2 layer soon. I painted the whole boat w/ white so I'm waiting until I get some flag blue painted on the sides to finish my design before I show pics of the plain white hull. It's really no different than the Anchor gray base coats I've already shared.
I waited 4 days between base and finish G2 coats & sanded the base lightly w/ red 3M scotch bright pads to rough up the base so the G2 would stick.
Good luck w/ your project. Share photos if you can , i'd like to see them.
God bless.

I added a little nineral spirits to thin and only used a quart and a half to cover. We will see how long it lasts. Cost 1/2 of what micron cs costs.
I got this paint and then it sat for 2 years before I used it, and I felt this bottom paint is among the few products that deliver excellent results as advertised. When I went to use it, it had no skin and was ready to go. I rolled and tipped four coats on my speed boat and it looks very good. It has tons of gloss and seems pretty durable as I continue to rig my boat.
I probably should of just applied this Duralux M749-1 boat bottom paint directly to the painted sanded and painted surface. However, It's very strong, durable, and has held up with no problem over the past two years.

Latest posts