BRPcontrols and throttle adjustment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21074

Reaction score
Been working on a project Johnson 25hp motor on a stand and has remote BRP late 90’s control.cables probably original. Issue I am experiencing is when I do my link and sync on motor using the fast start lever all is lined up as far as throttle plate etc. But when I use throttle to give it full throttle the butterfly goes past horizontal. Can’t get a happy medium. Could this be due to stretched cables?thanks.

No. If you have the standard control box I believe there is only one place that the throttle cable hooks up to inside it.

When adjusting any control on any outboard the control box must be adjusted to the engine, not the engine to the control box if that makes sense.
Starting with the shift for example. The engine placed in neutral and the trunnion on the control cable is adjusted to where the cable end just slips in place. Here is the kicker on this. You will find what I call "slop center" this is the slop in both the engine shift linkage as well as the slop in the control cable. You want the slop in the engine linkage to be around the middle but you can adjust the control cable to favor forward gear engagement.
You never ever try and adjust anything on the engine to conform to the control box cable.
Do your sync and link according to the manual and then set your idle speed.
Adjust your throttle cable trunnion to barely enough tension to fully close your throttle back to the idle stop when the control box comes back to neutral. This should give you proper throw for full throttle.

Thanks Pappy. So the Quick start lever on the control should move the roller on throttle cam at least past the two marks to where It start's easily. I have a tiller motor like this one and comparing the throttle settings.

Yes, and if you did your sync and link correctly then both the spark advance and the throttle should be advanced when the warm up lever is activated.
HINT - if the warm up lever is difficult to drop back in place it usually means the throttle cable is out of adjustment.

Latest posts