Buffing out aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDeitz

Reaction score
I’m starting the process of polishing the hull on my 1959 Sea King. Many videos advocate sanding with 320 and then buffing with wheel and brown bar. Is it necessary to start with the sand paper? What’s your opinion?

You can polish scratched and gouged aluminum with a wheel. The sanding is to smooth out the scratches and gouges so it looks more like a mirror and less like a polished turd. Lol.

You can polish scratched and gouged aluminum with a wheel. The sanding is to smooth out the scratches and gouges so it looks more like a mirror and less like a polished turd. Lol.

In one of my restorations, the most efficient and least taxing method was with generic steel wool pads. There's a picture somewhere, maybe in the link below on Alumacraft Model A. If not there, one of the others.

It was not joy-filled, but shone in the sun. I let it oxidize. I haven't looked lately, but there was a product...?"Sharkhide?"....or like that, that protected the polished hull.

Best wishes.

All I can say is I've spent many, many hours making alum on my bikes shine like a mirror. I hope you're a young man, because you may not live long enough to do a proper polish on something so large. I agree, paint it. Either that or you'll just be polishing it all over soon when it becomes dull again. Prob within a year I'd guess.

3M fiberglass restorer and a wool pad. You will be able to see yourself within a minute. Just do a small section at a time. Press hard and go slow at first, then go full speed and press very light to really mirror it out:

Original, terrible aluminum:
Resized_20220719_145948.jpeg

Same spot after a minute or two:
Resized_20220719_145906.jpeg

After a couple of minutes:
Resized_20220719_143246.jpeg

Believe it or not, once you get the aluminum buffed out, it is super-easy to keep clean. Just quickly wipe with a towel when you pull the boat. Once or twice a year, put on a coat of Nu-Finish poly car wax. Wipe on, wipe off, just like the old TV commercials.

Trade secret.

I certainly appreciate the time and effort people put in to get and keep a mirror like finish. Their boats look gorgous!

Myself, relegated to just keep it clean.

Me too. I clean the scum off about twice per year. I got an aluminum boat because I didn't want to hassle with polishing a glass boat. I feel kind of guilty when I see some of the results here.

Latest posts