Building Another One

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMixson

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of researching computer parts now to build another desktop computer for myself. I built my first one in 2003 and my current one in 2012. All I know right now is it is going to be an ASUS Motherboard since my first two were an ASUS and I have had really good luck with them. I am probably going to take a couple of months to gather all the parts needed to begin assembly. I am a research nut when it comes to things like that. It is hard for me to make up my mind on what I want. From what I can tell, they are much easier to assemble the hardware now and install running systems (BIOS and Windows) than they were in 2003. That is a good thing.

KMixson said:
I am in the process of researching computer parts now to build another desktop computer for myself. I built my first one in 2003 and my current one in 2012.

Another parts-guru!

I built my first one back in 1986 - I'm typing this from my 7th build, done in 2014...though this is probably the last one as finding Win-7 install discs is next to impossible...no, I consider Win-8 and up to BE bugs, not OS' so refuse to have anything to do with them.

MN Fisher. When I built my current one in 2012, I went with Windows 7 although Windows 8 was out, because of the reports of so many bugs in 8. I did upgrade to Windows 10 when it came out due to the fact that I was told that would be the last version and Microsoft would just keep updating it to keep up with the times. They lied. Who'da thunk it? Windows 10 has served me well so I can't knock it. I do have Windows 11 on a laptop I have, and I like it so far. I am going with Windows 11 on my new desktop build. Maybe it will last me another ten years.

Well, I have purchased the motherboard. It is an Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wi-Fi D4 ATX LGA1700 motherboard. I chose a board with the DDR4 RAM slots because of the high prices with DDR5 RAM right now although the price is coming down from 6 months ago and the availability is better now. I will now watch for sales for the other parts I need to get it up and running, so it may take me a while (a couple of months) to finish it. I am hearing there is a new graphics card series coming out later in the year so I may wait to get a dedicated graphics card to see if the price drops for the current series when the new series comes out. I can live with the onboard graphics for now. I am sorry, I am cheap, and I know it.

Jim said:
Never mind the insides, are you going to buy a cool case with LED lights? Water cooling? :lol:

I am going to use an Asus GT501 case. It is not too fancy. I am not into the LED lights for flashy purposes. They offer no performance increase and my case will not be seen by many anyhow. My desktop computer now is ten feet away from my desk so I don't see it much myself. I actually do not turn it off very often. I put it to sleep and just a touch of the mouse or keyboard wakes it up so I do not have to actually turn it on, on the case itself. I am debating maybe putting a light strip inside the case to I light up the inside if I go inside to work on it down the road. Maybe a white LED strip light. As for water cooling, No. I do not trust water running around in there at the moment. A small leak could ruin the PC. I am not a hard gamer or over-clocker so my temps should not be too high with fans cooling the system.

Well, things have been moving faster than I thought it would in my build. I have found some good deals on the parts needed and have put it together already. I fired it up last Saturday and all is well. The only hiccup I had was that I purchased Windows 11 Pro on DVD and had to go through the updates after installing it. It took a while. If I had purchased an online version of Windows 11 Pro and transferred the files to a flash drive, I could have downloaded the newest version to begin with on the drive and not have had to go through the Windows update process or not have had to go through as many updates. Other than that, it went together really well.

I am using the onboard graphics on the motherboard at the moment. I want to wait and see if the GPU's (Graphic Processing Units) come down in price toward the end of the year. I hear they are introducing a newer version of GPU's and the current ones may be less costly then. The ones I am looking at are around $800.00 now (RTX 3080 or RTX 3080Ti). The motherboard has one HDMI port and one Display Port. My two monitors I am using have DVI ports and HDMI ports. I was using the DVI cables to connect them to my 2012 build computer. I am going to get a Display Port to DVI adapter to connect one and the other one will be connected by an HDMI cable.

The GT501 case came with 4 fans but I added 2 more to the top for a total of 6 fans for the case. The CPU CooIer came with 1 fan, and I added 1 on the other side of it to have a push-pull configuration on the cooler. My temps on the CPU were at 34*C at the highest I observed which is really good. I disabled the RGB(LED) lighting on the fans and on the motherboard.

Here is a list on my parts.
Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
intel i7-12700K 3.6 GHz Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2 CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 RAM
Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA GT 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Power Supply
Asus TUF Gaming GT501 ATX Case
Asus ROG Strix XF 62.5 CFM Fans (2 fans)
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Operating System

Latest posts