Buying a new Jon Boat and a few questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmerck

Reaction score
I have a 38 y/o Lowe jon that I am getting ready to retire. The boat has served me well and I`ve more than got my moneys worth.

My old boat is a Lowe 1442 and the transom isn`t wide enough for me to use my little 5hp and my MinnKota Endurance 55 trolling motor.

G3 make a 1444
Crestliner and Alumacraft offer a 1448

I fish alone alot and don`t want to buy a trolling motor for the front of the jon.

Can I mount both motors on a 44? Would the 48 be worth the xtra cost?

Are there disadvantages to 2 motors running off the back?

Appreciate all input

In my opinion, wider is always better, to a reasonable degree. With only 5 HP, the 1448 should fit both.

Shop around. It's boat selling/buying season. Find one before the end of the year, and you might find a great deal

When running two motors off the back, you can only operate one at a time. With a troller on the front you can use both at the same time. Example...my 16' Sylvan SC has a small Merc 2.2 gas motor on the back, barely enough to troll for walleye on lake erie. Then I have a remote 55 lb electric troller on the bow, I can use both to get better control on windy days or heavy current. The little 2.2 is locked straight ahead and provides most of the forward thrust. The front troller adds to the forward thrust but mostly for more precise steering. Works like a charm, can follow any pattern I want by pushing buttons on the remote for the bow troller, allows me to stay in the back to handle the rods as I also fish mostly by myself. Everyone told me it wouldn't work but it does....very well !
The little 2.2 is very small and takes up very little transom width, also weighs less than 30 lbs so weight is not an issue. In your case, a remote control bow mount would be ideal with you only using a 5 hp outboard.

ALL motors operate most efficiently .....IF on the center line of the bow or stern. NO exceptions to that fact.

I would go with the 1448 if the cost difference isn't too much more. I have a 1652 and would love to go to a 1660 but they are tougher to find and $$$ more so it's hard to justify. 1448 seems to be a more common size so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Five horsepower on a 1436 flat bottom jon boat got me about 12.5 mph. Just kinda on plane. Just one person, virtually no mods. I too second the recommendation to find a 48" wide if you are fishing. I did some prop tuning and added a 6hp carb. Those changes got me about two more mph. Amazing fuel economy though!

I have a Minn Kota Terrova on the bow of my Princecraft. I use the key fob type remote. It is really nice to have. When moving a short distance, I will just start the main motor and idle over without even lifting the trolling motor, then shut off and get back to fishing. It's really easy when alone. More balanced weight distribution, too, which gets the boat up on plane easier, and keeps the stern higher in choppy water.

FWMAN brings up a VERY IMPORTANT FACT about small motor props.
NONE are selected for YOUR BOAT LOAD !! THere are very few to pick from for most small motors.
I just compensate with a slightly larger motor.