buying outboards on e-bay

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have been looking on ebay at outboards. Has anyone ever bought one from there before? If so was it a good deal or a nightmare? What should I avoid in a outboard motor? Thanks for any suggestions,Brian.

a friend of mine bought a 97 merc 150 he drove to ill to pick it up wsnt hooked up so he couldn't run it got homme and found out it was junk...so i dont think i would take the chance.. too many other was to pick up a motor

The good thing is that if you pay for it with Paypal you are covered up to a certain point. This would probably not help if you were looking at very expensive models. Word of advice would be to search by distance and go look before you buy. A reputable seller will not have a problem with you "kicking the tires"

not bought , but I sold one on ebay. one thing I did was provided a video of it running in the auction.

I have bought 2 from guys on Ebay. The first one one was a 5hp gamefisher. It came all busted up from poor packing. The good news is that I got 100 bucks from the insurance......so the motor cost me about 50 dollars and I replaced the parts cheaply. (13 dollars)

I also got my 35hp Evinrude off of Ebay. The guy has great feedback and mostly sells outboards. When it arrived, the cowl (hood) was cracked. The seller sent me another one.

So, I look at these as 2 positive transactions, but for a short while, they were headaches.

Also.......make sure you do your Ebay transactions through paypal......that way, your covered! :D I have made over 400 transactions with only 2 bad ones. I was really glad I used Paypal. I got a refund on both transactions pretty fast.

Thanks for the replies. Ive been looking at some on e-bay and the prices arent to bad. I live in east Tn and outboards are crazy expensive,especially 18 to 35 horse. Thanks,Brian.

i got my mercury from ebay . am real happy with it. check the feedback on the seller.

Latest posts