Can you help me ID this random plug on bottom of boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the stern on the hull bottom? I had an old Forget-Thy-Name-Brand tin hull that had a drain like that, including that large 1/2-rim around it.
Yep, that’s the location. So is that supposed to be the original drain location?makes sense because It looks like someone added a garbord drain into the boat. I’ve never seen a plug system like this, thanks

Yep, that’s the location. So is that supposed to be the original drain location?makes sense because It looks like someone added a garbord drain into the boat. I’ve never seen a plug system like this, thanks
Once upon a time, in the 10-15 year post-war history of aluminum boats, drain plugs were actually optional.
Type, style, and even which side of the boat you wanted one installed were squares to tick at the dealership.
This particular one, with the upstream skirt on the boat's floor was considered a "wet transom" plug that functioned as a bilge pump while underway.
Many times, even the plug size and pitch were products of year-to-year evolution.
Aftermarket companies such as Attwood, Perko, or Jervis could also upgrade your set-up with quarter-turn spring-loaded versions.

1684319958023.png

1684319979445.png

1684320980527.png

Last edited:
That is the one thing I hate about my boat, still looking for the best solution

Attachments

• 0509231709.jpg
    0509231709.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2
Whaddya mean? Buy that Moeller drain assembly ... last one I bought co$t me $6. And install yourself using a home-made DIY flaring tool, see photos. I've done dozens of the brass transom thru-hull drains and a few drain plugs using this idea. None leaked ...

Moeller Drain Assembly
Plug1.jpg

Moeller's Install Tool
Plug2.jpg

Dale's DIY Tool
Plug3.jpg

UPGRADE
I have since discovered that the tool works smoother if you put another small washer under the bolt head and nut, so the small washer spins against the larger fender washer ... if it is going to spin at all. Lube or grease them and the threads too, before torqueing.

You already have the best solution, those work great...while underway pop out the plug inside and watch the water get pulled like a sink drain....if you don't want to use the threaded plug, just get a rubber expandable stopper with a snap lock on top. Used them for years..work great !!

You already have the best solution, those work great...while underway pop out the plug inside and watch the water get pulled like a sink drain....if you don't want to use the threaded plug, just get a rubber expandable stopper with a snap lock on top. Used them for years..work great !!
The threaded plug leaks and a rubber plug has To be tightened very thight or it will leak.
I modified a brass fitting on a lathe that will accept a 3/4" plug, it will have To be installed with sealer because my plug hole was cross threaded i already tried To repair it with à npt tap, but not enough thread left to make it work. This is the part i made, have not Got it in yet because i i need To get a 3/4 plug.

When I bought the boat it came with like 5 plugs, now i know why.

Attachments

• 0518231302.jpg
    0518231302.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
I use the rubber plugs with the flip lever like an old thermos, you can get them at most hardware places. They come in different sizes and are adjustable for hole size....no leaks for me

Latest posts