Canadian Evinrude worktwin 15

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldorthemagnificent

Reaction score
My son caught a bug from me and came home today with this old Evinrude worktwin in the back of his van. He gave too much for it but it's all about learning. We plopped it in a barrel and it actually ran. Low idle is rough and it will quit. Magneto plate shakes at idle. Once the throttle is turned however, it smooths out and seems to run ok. Shifts great. Apparently OMC Canada sold these from 65-68 aimed at the commercial market. I gather it's maybe a Gale repurposed. Anyone with any knowledge of these please chime in here. Wondering what mix to run it on and perhaps some insight on the stator plate shake.
0194a54d14a296cd3be79339323f007e.jpg
ab7398d29299ecd57e41f503c2bfc058.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Although the '65-'68 vintage can be run on a 50:1 mixture the engine would better be served with a bit more oil. 32:1 or so.
A mag plate that shakes at idle is usually a symptom of an ignition coil dragging on the flywheel magnets. Your description fits this exactly.
Almost all typical service parts are still readily available for this engine. Carb kits, water pump kits, ignition components, etc.
Use OEM as much as possible as they will be the most complete kit and the parts will fit as opposed to aftermarket parts.

Thanks Pappy. He got it from a local kid he knows. Apparently has had new coils etc. I was going to take a look to see if the points were gapped correct so I'll check the coils as well. I dig these old motors, just something nostalgic about heading out on the lake with one.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

For sure looks like a "Gale" cover on that motor. If my nemory serves me correctly, those Gales were made by OMC anyhow so parts should be availiable. Brings back fond memories of my early boating days!!

Latest posts