Chalk like Residue on paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rds0523

Reaction score
Ok so the title of this thread sucks, I know, but I have NO idea how to describe this issue. I am currently repainting my '90 Lowe 1448, I have stripped the outside and applied several coats of Rustoleum Self Etching Primer roughing between coats. I then chose Rustoleum Camouflage matte finish paint. I have applied 2 coats ( just on one side so far) and it looks great...now comes the issue...If i run my fingers over the paint or basically touch it with anything it leaves prints that look almost like chalk lines - that's the best description i can give for this issue. Does anyone know what causes this or how to prevent it from happening? I want to avoid any sheen on the outside of the boat as it will be used during waterfowl hunting and that usually doesn't help much.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated.

I can post pics if neccessary

Unfortunately for me, I dont have access to a compressor or paint sprayer and I have not seen the color I chose in a roll on application, so I have been using the areosol spray paint type ( I am suspecting its just a downside of using aerosol paint)

Attachments

• AU_SelfEtchingPrimer_12oz_Gray_L.jpg
    AU_SelfEtchingPrimer_12oz_Gray_L.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 806
  • SPCamDfgSpL.jpg
    SPCamDfgSpL.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 806
You might be holding the can too far from the surface your painting and the paint is going on to dry.

Its been about 35-50 degrees in my garage every time I primed/painted and one of the guys here at work who recently painted a boat said he read a lot of forum posts that temperatures can make or break a paint job, im wondering if this is part of the problem as well.

I'll post a picture tonight of what i am running into

I've had problems before when using aerosol paints in the cold, so that could be part of your problem. Mostly, it just didn't want to cure/dry. But at 35°, that's much colder than I've tried using it so I don't know what you should expect.

OK, i took a couple pictures, they arent the greatest but i think you get the idea. this happens when pretty much anything drags across the painted surface, the marks in the pictures were caused by the pads of my finger tips. i dont think it was my skin because my fingers werent roughed up after i ran them over the paint if got a paper towel wet with water or windex the streaks wiped off so i'm quite puzzled still maybe this will end after the paint interacts with the sun/uv? I dont know anymore lol

The color also appears more gray than "deep forest green" I'm thinking maybe its still more primer than paint - wonder if i just need several more coats

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 776
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 776
If that's supposed to be deep forest green, then either your camera has issues or that paint does. Are you sure you did a good job of shaking the can? Did you hear the metal ball clanking around inside the can while you shook it?

Theres supposed to be noise coming from the paint can????? :shock: :lol: - LOL yes i shook the can and quite a bit i've never had problems spray painting things but ive never used this particular finish before - it actually looks green in person, combination of the flash and the fluorescent light above my camera washed the photo out quite a bit, i was more worried about capturing the streaks than the color i'll hit it with 2 or 3 more coats and see what happens, i guess worst case scenario i'll just strip it all again and try a different approach

If it leaves color on your finger tips it's overspray, if not coloring your fingertips then might be the oil on your skin leaving a mark. If they wipe off good like you said I wouldn't worry about it.
Let it cure for a week and see what it does. Colder temps, it takes longer for the solvent to evaporate out of the paint. It could be some kind of reaction that way.

I worked several years in the paint shop at a car factory and there are many things that can cause problems. Best to let it set for a while and make sure it is cured all the way.

good advice, i appreciate that, there is no color on my fingers, should i wait a week before applying additional coats?

rds0523 said:
good advice, i appreciate that, there is no color on my fingers, should i wait a week before applying additional coats?

You have 2 coats on it already? You don't like the way it looks or did you put it really thin?

I just used the same paint, different color and 2 coats was enough for me but it was a smaller project so I probably put it on thicker.

If you are going to put on another coat, check the can and see if it wants you to lightly scuff it again before painting.

edit- I went back and reread your first post, why did you put several coats of primer on it? If you were trying to fill in imperfections you would need a sandable primer which is basically thicker to give you something to sand.

I still have my seat box sitting behind me I painted with the krylon camo last month and I was curious so have been rubbing on it. lol All I got was marks in the dust. It was olive, black and khaki.

I used the same paint and same color on my boat and it left a similar residue. Mine was overspray though, my finger would be green if I ran it over the paint after it dried. Mine was definately alot darker that what you have pictured. I'm wondering if you got a defective batch of paint?

A guy i work with used the same etching primer and only used 1 coat and he mentioned he wished he had used a second coat of primer because it doesn't take much to chip the paint and primer off of his right down to the bare aluminum. I then read rustoleum documentation you should put on a light coat followed by a second heavier coat - i guess i just thought it would make sense to have 2 coats of primer. ( apparently that was wrong?)

it appears "greenish" when im standing next to it, but more gray than green, i still have that gut feeling i should (as suggested) wait a week and then hit it with another can

I have only done 1 side of the boat because I wasn't 100% sure my process was correct and i didn't want to do the entire **** boat to find out i have to do it all over, the opposite side of the boat has 1 coat of etching primer on it, and that's where it stands until i get more expert opinions on the whole process

F.M.L. maybe i should just drive it over to Macco and tell them to paint the **** thing for the $300 they quoted me LOL :lol:

rds0523 said:
A guy i work with used the same etching primer and only used 1 coat and he mentioned he wished he had used a second coat of primer because it doesn't take much to chip the paint and primer off of his right down to the bare aluminum. I then read rustoleum documentation you should put on a light coat followed by a second heavier coat - i guess i just thought it would make sense to have 2 coats of primer. ( apparently that was wrong?)

2 coats would be fine, the way I read it I thought maybe more because you said several coats.

On your guy you work with sounds like his first coat isn't sticking. Aluminum has to be prepped really well because it builds an oxidized surface really quick. Primer is supposed to give your paint something to stick to.

$300 for macco? hm, how many cans you going to have in it? Dam things were 6 something a piece here the other day.

lol not 300$ worth thats for sure

I'll just keep at it and hope for the best i suppose

I used the same product on my boat. Same color as a matter of fact. It turned out great. But I painted mine in a garage that was anywhere from 80 to 100 degrees.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361225053.327142.jpg

Latest posts