Checklist

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronbedard57

Reaction score
I've had one or two negative boating experiences over the years, and the common denominator seems to be lack of foresight or neglected precautions. I was sorting through and updating the tool kit that I carry in the boat, and I added a few items to the checklist I keep in there. It started as a laminated card with a list of the actual items kept in the tool kit. I read about the checklist airplane pilots use before their flights, and decided to add some lines for items required to be carried in the boat, and anything else I need to be reminded of before backing into the water. This list includes the obvious (drain plug) all the way to the mundane (hats and sunscreen). My wife and I literally stand at the boat, and one of us reads the list to the other for confirmation. Forgetting something won't cause a problem every time, but this habit has definitely saved us from hassles in the past. Everyone has friends that like to be invited for a day on the water, and we owe those guests a happy experience.
Just thought I'd mention and recommend this practice. Takes just a few minutes to set up, and another few minutes to use at every launch.
Snow and frozen lakes here now, but spring is coming!

Good idea. Add tackle box to the list. I forgot that one time. Fortunately I had some odds & ends on the boat but kind of a bummer. Also have left the sun glasses in the truck. Sunny day on the water is hard on the eyes.

Everything I need stays on/ in the boat, normally boat by myself so I have no one to blame but me if I dont have what I need. When I had my big boat, I had to consider the guests on board, but those days are gone.

Everything I need stays on/ in the boat, normally boat by myself so I have no one to blame but me if I dont have what I need. When I had my big boat, I had to consider the guests on board, but those days are gone.

I'm pretty much as that point too. I have one small "bag" of misc stuff that does not stay on the boat. Mostly stuff I use to rig the boat prior to the ramp.

I have a small paper list of phone #s. From people to tow me back. To USCG base & Local towns with a rescue boat closest to me. Some days there is no one close to my area.

I'm pretty much as that point too. I have one small "bag" of misc stuff that does not stay on the boat. Mostly stuff I use to rig the boat prior to the ramp.
Oh yea, forgot about my bag of stuff I keep in the back of my tow vehicle for my boat towing, it always stays in there except over winter, where it is swapped over to the winter emergency bag !!

I have a small paper list of phone #s. From people to tow me back. To USCG base & Local towns with a rescue boat closest to me. Some days there is no one close to my area.
I have a few numbers for that as well right into my phone, especially my neighbor, we both have boats and will go fetch each other if trouble arrises. We both do a good job of taking care of our stuff so that hasnt happened yet !! Hope it never does !! We both have small kicker motors for trolling and emergencies.

Hi,
Looked at my original post and feel bad about coming off so preachy. I had just completed a few edits/additions to the list I use and the subject was on my mind when I sat down to the computer.
I take the boat from where I store it to the house on the afternoon before we go out, and I actually have a short list of trailering and prep related items I use to get ready for the trip.
This is all a bit "anal" I guess, but I'm not getting any younger, and we go boating for the peace and quiet, not for unexpected excitement.
Have a great day

I do keep a list on my phone with keep notes. Not to the detail mentioned hear, but it does keep me organized.

I also keep some manuals on my phone, can't tell you how nice it is to be able to do a compass/heading calibration on trolling motor without trying to search internet with no connection.

I have a few numbers for that as well right into my phone, especially my neighbor, we both have boats and will go fetch each other if trouble arrises. We both do a good job of taking care of our stuff so that hasnt happened yet !! Hope it never does !! We both have small kicker motors for trolling and emergencies.

Having been a boater for more than 60 years, I guess what I need to do is stuck in my head !! When we bought a motorhome I made check lists as it was new to us...with my boat it has become habit I guess, everything I need stays in the boat...in the back of my car are a pair of boots, in case I need to wade in at the ramp, jumper cables and hitch accessories, oh and some work gloves. I have hitched so many trailers over the years, I always follow the same proceedures for any trailer. Once the boat is launched, everything is in the boat ( cooler and bait pail added before launch) all my fishing gear is stowed on board. About the only thing I really need to remember would be the wife on the rare ocassion she decides to come along !!!!

Latest posts