Cleaned Aluminum With Alcohol Before Using 3M 5200

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean1850

Reaction score
Good morning and Merry Christmas Eve. First post here, but have been reading the site as I have been repairing rotten wood on a Crestliner deep V.

My transom wood was rotting between the outer aluminum transom and the partial inner aluminum transom skin, so I tore out the old wood and replaced with new marine plywood.
After putting the new wood in, I wiped the aluminum down with isopropyl alcohol before putting in the thru hull bolts and scuppers in using 3M 5200 sealer/adhesive. After the fact, now, I am reading that you should not use alcohol to clean surfaces before using 5200.

Before I try to remove the (3) scuppers and (14) thru hull bolts and try to clean up all of the 5200 and redo, has anyone cleaned with alcohol, applied 5200 and not had leaks?

Thank you.IMG_2280.JPG

Dont understand why not??? Unless you use the 5200 while the alcohol was still wet......it evaporates so fast, I cant believe it would hurt anything!!! Used it some years back to seal up bolt holes for a swim ladder, and yes I also used alcohol to clean all the surfaces, ( as a man....who reads instructions?). I never had any issues, owned the boat for 5 years after that install.

I seldom use 5200, as is it too permanent for parts that will eventually need servicing (thru hulls, scuppers, etc. I prefer Boat Life which is a polysulfide.

However, when I have used 5200, I did clean areas with alcohol, but as already mentioned it evaporates very quickly. I never had an issue with leaks. It's going to be quite the job to remove depending on how long it has cured.

Not sure I would take it all apart at this point. Test. If they leak, they you can re-do at that time.

BTW....are you referring to the 14 transom bolts as thru hull bolts?

Thank you.

Tin Man, yes the transom bolts. I did not know what they were called, but now it seems obvious. lol
I have some boat life too that I used in other areas. I am hoping that I do not have to remove the transom bolts or scuppers again.

I will leave them as is and watch for leaks when I get her back in the water.

Thanks again!

Latest posts