Cleaning the boat cover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a denier polyester boat cover made by Marine Raider. (Not exactly top of the line) But it has impressed me by protecting my jon boat for several months now.
Besides wind and rain it’s been covered with oak pollen and had spots of sap that I wipe off when I see them. It’s getting a little stiff feeling and needs to be washed.
Does anyone know the best way to go about it? I’ve got a flat bed trailer to lay it out flat on and thought about using boat soap and a pressure washer. Just wanted an opinion if I should be a little more gentle or not?

Denier polyester is actually easy to clean - just need a really big washing machine...check the local laundromat.

https://pacificrestyling.com/pages/care-cleaning

"Polyester 600 denier with Polyurethane waterproof coatings

Machine wash with an HE liquid detergent in warm water on gentle cycle. Hang dry or low temperature tumble dry.

Polyester is a man-made textile which is really easy to clean and care for.

Whether you call it a basket or oxford weave, it is still one of the most popular fabric constructions in the world. It may be basic but, it is both durable and pliable; just the type of fabric you want for custom seat covers. Polyester is very resistant to stains and fading but, bits of dirt do get caught in the corners of the woven fabric and that's what really needs cleaning."

Denier polyester is actually easy to clean - just need a really big washing machine...check the local laundromat.

Care & Cleaning Seat Covers | Easy Cleaning Guide | ProMaster Parts

"Polyester 600 denier with Polyurethane waterproof coatings

Machine wash with an HE liquid detergent in warm water on gentle cycle. Hang dry or low temperature tumble dry.

Polyester is a man-made textile which is really easy to clean and care for.

Whether you call it a basket or oxford weave, it is still one of the most popular fabric constructions in the world. It may be basic but, it is both durable and pliable; just the type of fabric you want for custom seat covers. Polyester is very resistant to stains and fading but, bits of dirt do get caught in the corners of the woven fabric and that's what really needs cleaning."
Well it’s that time again. Time clean the boat cover. Last spring I cleaned it by hand and used Woolite. I looked back on this post from last spring and read this answer. Even though my cover is only 300 denier polyester I was headed to the laundromat today. Then I noticed 2 small rips in the cover and was afraid to put it in a machine so I cleaned it by hand again and tomorrow I’ll repair those rips and waterproof it. If it last another year I’ll be tickled with my Academy boat cover. But I’m definitely going to order me a good one next time. Especially after redoing the inside bottom and installing a new floor.
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Before it’s all over I want to see how it goes in a washing machine.

All my covers on everything are made of sunbrella. They get a 2 to 4 minute wash cycle. Then a rinsing..........

NO drying in a machine. I roll it up & spread it out to dry on a wood dock. Flip it 2 times.

Spray on sealer both sides & touch up light spots. Going on 20 years.

All my covers on everything are made of sunbrella. They get a 2 to 4 minute wash cycle. Then a rinsing..........

NO drying in a machine. I roll it up & spread it out to dry on a wood dock. Flip it 2 times.

Spray on sealer both sides & touch up light spots. Going on 20 years.
How often do you have to w and treat them? My next one may be Sunbrella. By the time I put waterproofing on mine I could by another one. I was applying a product today and it says let dry and apply a second coat. The bottle didn’t even cover one coat. So that’s 2 bottles just under $20 each and I get a notification that Academy has the same cover on sale for $56. I’m done with 300 denier cheapes. I spent today cutting and fitting plywood for the flooring I’m building. I’m using a good penetrating epoxy but I still want a cover that’ll keep it dry.

Latest posts