CMC Pt 130 Tilt and trim installation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbritt23

Reaction score
Alright i have a quick question. I have 2 choices on how to install this im putting it on boat that is brand new and never had a motor on it. So my 2 options are i could hang my motor on my transome and use c-clamps to pull it tight to the transome and mark the holes. 2. install the tilt and trim unit to the motor and use a hoist, or cherry picker to jack the motor up and put the transome plate up to the transome and jack it up until its to the desired height and install like that. what do youll think would be the best option i really dont wanna drill a bunch of holes and the intstructions are unclear about this cause it says take old motor off set CMC to desired height and install and make sure you leave enough clearence so the motor can tilt anyone that has any insight please post. I appreciate all the feedback thank you

I would have to know what type of boat we are working on as well as transom height along with shaft length on your motor. From there it would be find true center and figure prop to pad distance for height. Then make a template off your cmc unit and clamp up tight to drill.

toofuss said:
I would have to know what type of boat we are working on as well as transom height along with shaft length on your motor. From there it would be find true center and figure prop to pad distance for height. Then make a template off your cmc unit and clamp up tight to drill.

Its a alumacraft 1648 ncs. It is a 15" (short shaft) transom along with a short shaft (15") evinrude 40. Like i said its a brand new boat i went ahead and fabricated a diamond plate cap to reinforce the transome a little bit because of the extra weight and to also account for the 6 inch setback of the CMC here attached is some pictures.

20130328_172127.jpg

20130328_172133.jpg

Ok then this should be simple. Set your tilt/trim flush with the top of your transom and DEAD CENTER!!!! I cannot stress this enough. Then set your motor to the trim unit in the top holes (high as it will go) that way you can always go lower if needed. Another thing to watch is level and plumb. Just a degree off can make the boat squirrely at speed. Hope this helps.

I would use your cavitation plate on your motor as reference.It should be even or slightly above the bottom of your tin.

i have also heard there is a formula for set back to raise the motor like for every inch of setback u can bring your motor up so far. CMC is saying the cav plate should be 1-3 inches above the transom so thats what im trying to fig out

So measure from saddle to plate then top of transom down. Should get you really close

sbritt23 said:
i have also heard there is a formula for set back to raise the motor like for every inch of setback u can bring your motor up so far. CMC is saying the cav plate should be 1-3 inches above the transom so thats what im trying to fig out
The formula I go by is for every 1" of set back you can raise the motor a 1/4".