Comments regarding a post on re-entry steps/ladders

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just happened upon a post started on Feb. of 2015 regarding the selection and installation of a re-entry step on a member's boat. He mentions a very nice, simple product that unfortunately was discontinued (nice design with the exception of the mounting bracket being under water and friction stowing... but they were certainly on the right track). The thread also mentions and comments on our product, The Rescue Step. I wish I had seen this earlier as I would have given a more timely response back when this was posted. Since I didn't, I still felt compelled to respond to a couple of the comments that were made regarding our product. This way if there is a misconception of our product, we will be able to set the record straight.

Here's the thread if anyone is interested in reading it:

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37006&hilit=Rescue+Step

Comment - "The step is too expensive" (a number of versions are listed, some more "colorful" than others)
Response - When we made this product we knew it would not be for everyone and we were OK with that. When Ed almost lost his life in 40 degree water temp, a lot of things that went through his mind as his body shut down from hypothermia as he tried everything to unsuccessfully get back into his boat. After miraculously surviving the event, he set out to find a suitable boat step for his G3. He was quickly disappointed with what was offered as most products were made of flimsy tubular material (typically rated at 150 to 250 lbs) or were designed for bigger boats and would impede the operation of the motor or other transom mounted devices. Also, he was frustrated that most were made in China. With a vivid recollection of his encounter, he decided to make a new product that was designed by a sportsman for sportsmen type boats. The goal was to make the strongest most reliably functioning step. Our step is made entirely out of 6061 aluminum using "solid" rod construction, not tubular material. We then powdercoat it to add more protection. Welds can be a potential point of failure in the marine environment, so we came up with a process to assemble it without welding, so no point of failure. This design and process secured us a patent for our product. Weight rating was also important to us so we had the assembled product weight tested at a certified testing lab to the point of breakage. The results were beyond our expectations. The aluminum rod buckled at just over 8600 lbs, actual breakage occured at just over 10,000 lbs. So yes, this product will outlast your boat and is arguably over-built for its intended use, and we are absolutely OK with that. Other features are the step angles away from the boat when deployed to make it easier to get in instead of hanging straight down; the mounting holes are above the water line so no water leaking in; the stowage clips secure the step and keep it from rattling or accidentally deploying while under way; the mounting bracket is split to allow the step to be mounted over "things" that might be mounted on the transom (like transducer wires, etc.).

Comment - "You have to add $30.00 more for the installation hardware"
Response - I guess we didn't do a good enough job to indicate that our all stainless steel installation hardware kit is included with the step, no extra charge. We do offer an optional backer plate which we recommend considering on fiberglass, composite and wooden transoms. The standard hardware kit includes fender washers which is all you need for support on most aluminum boat installations.

From experience we know that people may think our product is overpriced, especially looking at it from a picture. However, when people get the chance to see/feel/touch and witness the quality and thought that went into the product, they usually have a very different opinion. Read what the representative from Vance Mfg. said about why his product was discontinued and you'll get a better sense what it takes to manufacture a product successfully.

We also know there are people out there which think that the cost of any device beyond that of a piece of rope is too expensive and that's OK, we say "best of luck". If that is the value they put on a human life then that's fine. Ed puts a different value on it and designed the strongest, highest quality, most dependable step on the market because he wants it to function when it is needed no matter how long it sits idle on your boat. It's also why our product is often the first choice with search & rescue, fire, and law enforcement organizations for their boats.

Regardless of how you feel about our product, we strongly recommend installing a "permanently" mounted re-entry device on your boat. The combination of re-entry ability and personal flotation device are your best chances of survival in an emergency marine environment situation. In Ed's case, in a cold water situation, a PFD would only have left a floating dead body instead of a submerged one. No one is as young as they think they are and most people over the age of 35 will not be able to get into their boats without assistance.

Ed didn't have a re-entry device on his boat until after he luckily survived (so he was just like some of YOU on this forum). He always thought that only dumba**es fell out of boats! Now he says it only took him 54 years and 1/2 a second to join the dumba**s club!

Maybe the winner of the Father's Day Rescue Step Giveaway will post some comments when he/she receives/mounts it.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but thought it was worth it! Hope you got to know us a little better. Thanks for reading!

We all just want everyone to Live To Fish Another Day!

The first dead body I ever saw was a guy floating face down. He was right next to his boat and the shifter was hanging overboard by the cables. I'm sure he was using it to pull himself up. I can only imagine the desperate atempt he had made to get back in the boat. He looked about 45-50 and had 2 snot trails that were 5' long and foam coming out of his mouth and was blue. We towed his boat and a couple of other guys grabbed the body. RIP. $169 bucks for this nice unit is more than fair. If you think you can climb in without one then jump off on a windy day. Swim after and catch your boat and then try it. Next try it while pretending you blew your knee or rotator cuff as you fell out. Reminds me of the life vest saying we had in my go fast days. "I'm a great swimmer but I can't swim worth a flip when my foot is shoved up my azz from an accident so I wear a vest." I hope you sell a million of them and I hope I never have to recover a dead guys boat again.

Really appreciate you sharing your experience Stumpalump! Sadly, yours is one of many stories out there that don't get shared enough.

Unfortunately it seems like its has to take a near-death experience that finally overcomes the some of the surprisingly apathetic attitudes towards boating safety products. Amazing how so many boaters are more than willing to become a statistic. Oh well, maybe they spent all their money on life insurance!

It would be nice if your site had more detailed specifications. Measurements, open and closed. Pictures on different boats would be helpful too. I don't want to shell out $170 to see if it fits.

The main page shows one mounted and the you tube vid shows one in the up position. The buy tab here lists the dimensions of the three sizes. https://therescuestep.com

It's easy to tie a loop or two in a rope to make a 'step up' for reentering a boat. It is what I do to reenter after going swimming.

chuck99z28 said:
It would be nice if your site had more detailed specifications. Measurements, open and closed. Pictures on different boats would be helpful too. I don't want to shell out $170 to see if it fits.

I appreciate Stumpalump finding the info on our website for you (thanks Stump!). But your comment got me to thinking and you have a valid point Chuck, and I really appreciate your comment. So I have attached a dimension sheet that covers the closed dimensions of all sizes of our product. I will also have this posted on our website as you suggested, makes perfect sense. Overall length in the open position is dimension C + A minus about 2 inches due to the lean out of the step when deployed.

You can also see pictures of boats with steps mounted on our Facebook page, we keep adding them as owners give them to us: https://www.facebook.com/emeinctherescuesteptm/

I just want to make a general comment regarding choosing a size step for your boat:

The standard size step that we offer was designed to fit on most 12 ft and up aluminum boats and that's the size we most often recommend. The Narrow and Mini size steps were primarily developed for the inflatable boat market due to their smaller size/narrower transoms. That being said, we have sold a few narrow steps to aluminum boat owners that have more crowded transoms where open space was a premium.

Always appreciate feedback!

Attachments

• Rescue Step Dimensions Sheet.png
    Rescue Step Dimensions Sheet.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,511

Latest posts