Confessions of a Total Doofus

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding putting a tachometer on the motor: I bought a cheapie off Amazon. Link: Tachometer.

It works on two or four strokes and can be set for 1, 2, or 4 cylinder motors. Easy to hook up, and I ran the cable from mine out through an existing opening that carries the battery cable.

The tach also contains an hour meter.

Regarding the DUFUS thing. I think we all have some dufus in us from time to time. Anyone that disagrees, just ask your wife and she’ll set you straight. :)

(Sorry for the caps. The smell checker kept trying to change it to Rufus.)

Have you forgotten the plug yet? If not, I'm not sure you can claim doofus status, I'll have to check the manual. 😅.
A tinnie, especially with no deck, battery or trolling motor up front can be a handful by yourself at low speeds. The easiest solution is take a fishing buddy. That slows the winds effect on the front end and it's their job to grab the dock. Wind and current can be challenging to deal with in a light boat. I try to come in head on to both when possible and turn at the last moment. Or think of a way to use to your advantage. I always keep my motor running until I'm tied off or on the trailer. On those older motors it may mean idling up a bit as they are often fond of farting out after a bit of low idling. What taught me the best was hanging back and watching what other folks do. You'll learn new tricks and get a few chuckles this way.

Not yet! I have a checklist I run through before launching and have MAKE SURE THE PLUG IS IN in caps, TWICE! Also have a spare on a wire hanging from the transom. BTW, innie or outie? I prefer mine on the inside.

I am very fortunate that my boat has never leaked a drop !! I do pop the drain plug when I pull it out, but when there is no moisture inside (stick my finger in the hole) I just plug it back in... Prevuous boats did have sime small leaks so I developed some habits...after backing the boat into the barn, I always loosen the winch and transom straps so there us no tension while the boat is just sitting there. Not sure why but have always done that in my 60 years of boat ownership !! My next trip out, when tightening thevtransom straps I put in the drain plug, did that for so many years, that even now, when I tighten the transom straps, I look at that plug to be sure it is in !! Gotta develope those habbits to become a regular routine !!

I am very fortunate that my boat has never leaked a drop !! I do pop the drain plug when I pull it out, but when there is no moisture inside (stick my finger in the hole) I just plug it back in... Prevuous boats did have sime small leaks so I developed some habits...after backing the boat into the barn, I always loosen the winch and transom straps so there us no tension while the boat is just sitting there. Not sure why but have always done that in my 60 years of boat ownership !! My next trip out, when tightening thevtransom straps I put in the drain plug, did that for so many years, that even now, when I tighten the transom straps, I look at that plug to be sure it is in !! Gotta develope those habbits to become a regular routine !!
Some states prohibit transport of boats with drain plugs in place; this is an anti-invasive species requirement.

The Iowa code says: "Drain plugs, bailers, valves, or other devices used to control the drainage of water from ballast tanks, bilges, and live wells must be removed and opened while transporting water-related equipment."

Minnesota requires drain plugs to be removed as well.

I keep my drain plug on a chain right next to the drain port. I have a checklist of stuff that I do before launch, and drain plug insertion is one of the items.

My drain plug is dangling if I’m not on the water. Minimal leakage, might get a cup or less of water after six hours. It’s a 1997 boat and I’m not concerned in the least.

Thanks for the confirmation Dale. I messed with it for a good half hour yesterday. Found it was backed off so far it was doing nothing. I turned it in about a gajillion turns and it now only dies sometimes. If I rev her up and shut her down quickly the revs drop down low and then recover. Got to be careful though or it will die. I ordered a tach for it to see what she's actually doing, but I sense something is a little bit off.

I'll add my own anecdote here. I've got a pretty beefy motor on my tinny and I was launching, got all lined up and eased her into reverse. Perfect. And she stuck in reverse! Cable picked that exact moment to stick on me and it was a busy weekend with someone launching right next to me and back about 20ft on the docking pier as her hubby was parking the truck. Nice boat too. Since the boat was new to me I didn't have the motor memory (lol, pun not intended) to instinctively get to the key fast, I tried but I was making a beeline for this nice boat so I steered it out of the way and just barely missed them. I got out at the end of the pier and fixed the issue temporarily and went on my way, but that day I spent a good half hour with the motor off throwing it into reverse and going for the key over and over again until it was a fluid motion. Coming back in, since I didn't want to use reverse since the cable was not replaced, I came in soft at an angle so I just barely touched the dock then threw my rope on the cleat and pulled it straight - then had to pull it from the end of the pier to a good spot to start it up to drive onto my trailer.

I can tell you one thing, every time I think of this scenario my heart skips a beat, I was just inches from a super bad day. One of the many lessons I learned is to keep a long rope on the bow with my wife on the other end looped through an eyelet on my trailer so that if it goes bonkers on me ever again it can be stopped or slowed until I get to the key.

And, yes, I've left the boat plug out once on my last boat for about 2 minutes until I heard the bilge going like mad and realized it was still in the cupholder of my truck. Fortunately I hadn't left the trailer yet 😬.

Holy crap Batman! That makes my day seem a whole lot better in comparison. Would you say a boat with a helm is easier to maneuver? The tiller just seem awkward when you have to react quick in tight quarters. Think I'm buying an electric start motor today though. Hopefully that'll make my life easier.

Stalling after going down the idle from a high speed run can also be a sign that the mixture adjustment is set a too lean. Maybe open (counter-clockwise, needle balve screw) it up a 1/4 turn and try another high speed run to idle again, then maybe another 1/4 turn, but no more if you do not have a manual.

Manuals specify the number of turns open, then you adjust until you get the highest RPMs at a low idle speed, but only check or do this once she is warmed up.

Thanks Dale, I played around with the mix a little, but was trying not to get too carried away. She was coughing a bit so I richened the mix a hair which seemed to cure it. I'll try what you suggest.

Didn't realize this until was in the bow trying to grab a hold of the pier.
I'm sure you've gotten practice and are better at docking now but I have to ask (and kinda surprised no one else said anything). Why were you at the bow trying to grab the pier when the motor running? You're using a tiller, so you're at the stern and that should be the first line you tie off. Then you tie off the bow. And your kill lanyard should have shut the motor off before you get to the bow (if you don't have one you should for safety reasons). I have had to slowly walk up to the bow holding onto the dock due to wind (yesterday actually) to get the bow line tied off to go get the trailer.