Could this be done?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestfisher

Reaction score
Hey folks, am curious. Have a 2004 Tracker PT175. 50hp Merc.
Am wondering if there is a way that my deep cycle battery could be hooked up to my motor to charge it like my starting battery?
Could this be done? If it can would do any damage to the battery? I have an on board charger just looking for an option when I don't have access to power to charge.
Appreciate any comments.

Am wondering if there is a way that my deep cycle battery could be hooked up to my motor to charge it like my starting battery?
Could this be done? If it can would do any damage to the battery? I have an on board charger just looking for an option when I don't have access to power to charge.
Appreciate any comments.

I'm not a fan of ACRs but you may want to look at the Blue Sea System.

Attachments

• 6833-Rev012-Add-A-Battery-web.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
DO NOT use that battery switch that was just posted above, that will combine the batteries … and you do not want to combine two different types or construction or sized batteries!

It could be done with a simple 2-battery battery switch having the positions of:

OFF - BAT 1 - BOTH - BAT 2​

The CAUTION is however, whereas you likely have a starting battery as the other battery, and those batteries are two different types, do not use the ‘Both’ position, which combines them together.

Last edited:
DO NOT use that battery switch that was just posted above, that will combine the batteries … and you do not want to combine two different types or construction or sized batteries!

It could be done with a simple 2-battery battery switch having the positions of:

OFF - BAT 1 - BOTH - BAT 2​

The CAUTION is however, whereas you likely have a starting battery as the other battery, and those batteries are two different types, do not use the ‘Both’ position, which combines them together.
There are lots of reasons to keep batteries separated, but the ACR only puts batteries in parallel when charging or when battey switch is in Both.

If using lead acid batteries, I'm not sure the charging cycle would cause any issues to the batteries. I would be more concerned with FF interference when the batteries are in parallel.

Without contacting ACR manufacturer, I would not mix chemistries of batteries or SLA/non SLA batteries.

Deep cycle batteries like a different charge cycle than a starting battery. While it could be done, you will probably shorten the life of the deep cycle battery. In the name of safety, you cant charge both at the same time. After a long day on the water, it is gonna take an awefull long ride in your boat to charge that deep cycle...!!!!!

Appreciate any comments.
To answer your questions?
NOTE: This is for lead acid batteries and not using BOTH with a battery switch.
Can it be done? Yes your deep cycle can be hooked and charged like a starting battery. Your outboard motor charging system must be compatible with deep cycle batteries. DC batteries have the same charge profile as MS batteries but prefer a slow rate of charge to reduce heat build up.
Battery damage? An ACR seprates batteries in the discharge mode and the batteries work as if they were totally seperate. So if ACR works properly, no damage to batteries should occur in discharge mode.
Charge mode, an ACR puts the batteries in parallel for charging. All batteries have different Internal Resistance, so while charging in parallel they will charge at different rates and have different status of charge. This is one reason batteries in parallel prematurely fail, the good battery (low internal resistance) charges and discharges more than the other batteries in parallel. Not sure if battery life will be reduced, but doubt battery damage will occur.

My ouboard does not support charging of DC batteries, so my options are limited to more batteries, exceed 50% dod, or stop using trolling motor.

Can you?
Sure.
I’ve Had to run my jumper cables to both batteries when I lost one or the other.
I run deep cycle batteries only.
just lost my starting battery end of last season.
I switch my trolling to starting and just buy another deep for trolling.
Never had a problem.
I will say this. I alway charge all my batteries on all my vehicles once a month or so.
Not cause there is a problem, cause it helps the battery.

In a perfect world, you shouldn’t mix Batteries.
To charge your trolling battery, a switch to choose one or the other will be fine.

To run two batteries in parallel, voltage, charge, etc always aims to the worse battery.
Your charging rate is 50% (roughly) so you will get a “slower charge” on the battery you want to
get back up.

I would do what you’re thinking of if I couldn’t get to power for my charger.

One suggestion:
I would start and charge the battery that needs it If possible.
Voltage spikes ( either way ) can be an issue.
I’ve seen so much damage by voltage spikes during my career.
It might not be an issue but why chance it..

Appreciate any comments.

I just stumbled on this on another forum -- Minn Kota Alternator Charger. Sounds like it will do exactly what you want, but $$. Here is a link to Minn Kota's info (if I did it correctly):

4413541136663-Using-the-Alternator-Charger

For many decades, I have run an A+B battery system in almost every boat.

I started out using a pair of Dual-Purpose batteries. When those became harder to find, I switched to using a starting battery and a deep cycle battery. 😲😲😲

Typically, I start on the starting battery, and while running out, I switch to BOTH to make sure both are topped up. Once we get to the fishing grounds, I switch over to the deep cycle battery to run all the accessories while fishing. Then back to BOTH on the way back. This has typically been with larger walkaround cabin and center console boats and the pontoons that have a lot more draw that most aluminum boats.

In this configuration, I typically get 6 good years out of my batteries, and usually longer from the deep cycle battery, as they don't get cycled very hard. After 6 years, I swap them both out and use them in other boats or other places since they still work well. In my current 22' Offshore, my motor has a Aux. "house battery" circuit, so I carry a group 24 battery in reserve. Never enough batteries offshore.

To be honest, I usually put the older batteries from the big boat in the little boats, as they don't require nearly as much juice to run. It's really not much of an issue when running a little 50 HP, a few lights and fish finders. But the first time I get a slow starter turn, that battery is GONE.

The real challenge on small boats are the trolling motor batteries, which tend to get worked much harder than the main batteries. Those, you need to be more diligent in caring for. Keep them out of the sun and ice, and keep them charged.

Not recommending anything, just sharing what I personally have done for many years.

I just stumbled on this on another forum -- Minn Kota Alternator Charger. Sounds like it will do exactly what you want, but $$. Here is a link to Minn Kota's info (if I did it correctly):

4413541136663-Using-the-Alternator-Charger

I'd only recommend those if you've got an outboard with a decent charging system, most older models produce 10-15 amps wide open, hardly enough for one battery let alone two or more.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to discuss these options with the folks that service my boat too. Will let you know what they tell me as well.

I'd only recommend those if you've got an outboard with a decent charging system, most older models produce 10-15 amps wide open, hardly enough for one battery let alone two or more.

Good point and I honestly wouldn't know what would be enough. My 50 HP Honda spec's say 17 amps of "battery charging power". I don't have it connected to anything other than the starting battery, so have no idea.

Latest posts