Cracked transom aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadzeilenga

Reaction score
Hi All,
I pulled the transom pad off to replace and discovered a problem underneath
e8302067e366545dc68e1afebec9f49c.jpg

The screw in the center of the transom appears to have partially pulled through. The transom wood is still in good shape, so I’d like to avoid replacing at this time.

Has anyone seen this and have any recommended repairs? I was thinking of using a stainless thru bolt with large washer and some 3M 5200 to seal and provide barrier between AL and Stainless.

I’m still trying to find a transom pad solution as well. I’m concerned rubber will dry rot over time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd advise that before you do anything, I'd assess "why or what force" was causing that screw to pull through. Where is it attached on the other side? To me it means whatever it was attached to on the other side was being moved forward, hence the 'pull divot'.

And I would never attach anything or goop it (3M 5200) without priming the tin first and yes, isolate the tin from anything stainless.

Hi Dale,
Thanks for the response and I agree, I need to diagnose what caused the issue to prevent from recurring. This bolt is in the center location of the transom, so I would imagine that it sees the most force when there is any load on the transom. The head of screw is just a tapered philips screw, so there was no distribution of the loads to the area around the screw head as with a washer. It was still tight when I removed it and the transom aluminum appears to be pretty oxidized so I don't think there has been any movement recently, possibly it was an older failure?

I'm trying to find a better solution for a transom pad that will more evenly distribute the load of the motor to the transom, but I can't find much discussion on the topic. Has anyone used the pads made by NuovaRade. I was thinking of installing one on the outside:

https://www.nuovarade.com/product.php?productId=5527&categoryId=141

And this on the inside:
https://www.nuovarade.com/product.php?productId=5525&categoryId=141

With 3M 4200 sealant around all of the bolt holes which would be thru-bolted.

A suitable sized HDPE cutting board sized to fit would work slick on the outside and is a much cheaper option ...but I am admittedly a DIY'r and try to do things myself, vs. buying pricey specific-use parts.

I also use what you showed on the inside, more so to absorb or minimize any OB vibrations.

I use 1/4" aluminum plate. I've welded it into one piece, or simply put a piece on each side. Really helps spread out the forces from the motor. Also either use a transom saver or ratchet straps the motor forward while trailering. The bouncing will take its toll.
ba19364328fe8951437b70bf431c63ed.jpg
f216904f2b300b36bdaae4f7409074be.jpg
74d2a7df5226a669201eb3d8ee46729a.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter because it's not hull material. Shop I work for happened to have some drop 5052. 3000 series would be fine as well. Check local fab shops first it would likely be a lot cheaper if you could find a piece

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

As far as that little pucker goes I have had good luck with JB Weld, yeah and agree with Weldor on the plate. I use whatever Aluminum plate I have laying around, here is one I did recently, this one is 1/8”

Attachments

• A67D8A15-BD78-4BC1-8446-3EDE01CDF3CD.jpeg
    A67D8A15-BD78-4BC1-8446-3EDE01CDF3CD.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 297
Thanks,
I think I'm going to get a 1/4" Aluminum plate for both sides of the transom and then through-bolt it with some 316SS hardware and isolate the hardware from the AL with either 3M 4200 or some rubber washers. I'll put the 3M 4200 on the backside of the plate as well. I'm not yet sure how much this will increase the vibration over the current setup, but should help by adding rigidity to the transom. It's been fun wading through the McMaster-Carr bolt selection online as I found some nice AL screws to seal up holes with as well.

chadzeilenga said:
... then through-bolt it with some 316 SS hardware ...
Be aware most local stores will only have 304 series or 18-8 stainless hardware. On my saltwater boats I buy 316L series as it is passivated and high in molybdenum content to better withstand the salt environment. The 316 also doesn't "bleed rust" stains like the cheaper SS series will.

I buy mine from Albany County Fasteners: https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/screws-bolts/acf_cat_screws_and_bolts.htm?Per_Page=144&Sort_By=bestsellers&f_material=316%20Stainless%20Steel

Hey Dale,
thanks for the resource! I will definitely check them out. I've been navigating through the listings on McMaster and have a set of 316SS hardware selected. Since I won't be doing any salt water, this was just added insurance for cosmetics with the bleeding like you mentioned.

After some further reading, I'm a little concerned with my 1/4" AL plan and the motor sliding around on it.

Well I finally got the new AL plates installed

6d2aa41cf89f1d738585b987bed14124.jpg

97d3824014736ed395ce32cddfc3bf49.jpg

I have some cleanup of the 3M 4200, but it went very well. I used 316SS hardware with a barrier of 4200 on it.

Also, I had some holes in the transom from an old depth finder. Plugged them with some Aluminum screws
76c66ecaca73d7d10f4b2d23318e0489.jpg

de158eb79514a23a31d1db77d1564fb5.jpg

I appreciate all of the input from the team here! Can’t wait to take it out. A few questions:
1. What do you hook the motor chain to?
2. What is best way to remove the 4200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk