Dash Cams

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said above, my new camera is a Rove R2-4K. It and the power adapter came in Thursday and I installed them in the overhead console yesterday. It was a totally simple no-brainer - tap into red (hot) and black (ground) and run a USB to the camera. I did take pictures but don't really think they'd add much, except:

ATTACH]

I don't like suction cup mounts at all, so used the included sticky pad to mount it to the windshield just below the rear view mirror. Read the instructions first (I finally do that) and was a bit concerned about formatting the card - there are more than 40 pages of instructions. Yikes.

Not to worry - plugged in the power and the 1st screen that came up asked me if I wanted to format the card. Clicked "yes" and 2 seconds later it was done.

They state very clearly that the internal battery is only good for a few minutes; I assume for the parking feature, but apparently you need a different wiring harness for that to work. Not sure. I don't want mine on all the time, so wired it to a keyed source. In my console, overhead reading lights are always hot; sunroof switch is keyed....take your pick.

Now my big thing - project for today - is to learn how to bluetooth or wi-fi it to my phone. Haven't viewed a video from it yet, but picture on the monitor is sharp and clear.

P.S. That blankety-blank thing. I put the picture between the 1st and 2nd paragraphs and that's not where it landed in the posted message. Oh well. After I took that picture, I re-routed the USB cord around the mirror stem and it's almost invisible now.

Jim said:
Not to derail this thread, but has anyone hardwired a USB-type port up to their rearview mirror area? This would solve many problems for me.

if you have map lights in the dome or mirror areas, tag off one of those and remove the bulb. that leaves the usb charging port switchable and you still have the other side of the map light to read at night. run usb port wire between roof and headliner to drop in at the mirror.

LDUBS said:
Another side question: Is anyone using their iPhone as a dash cam? I see free dash cam apps available.

doing that will allow the entire world to see your footage. loss of privacy and security.

Jim said:
LDUBS said:
Another side question: Is anyone using their iPhone as a dash cam? I see free dash cam apps available.
No, the only reason why I’m not is because I’m too lazy to set it up each and every time I’m in and out of the car. I know myself, and even if it’s a 2 minute ride to the market, i will just convince myself it’s not worth the time and “nothing will happen”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. I was thinking I need it most when pulling the boat or travel trailer. That is when most cut-offs seem to happen. But you are absolutely right that a big exposure is likely those close to home short trips.

Latest posts