Dash

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDeitz

Reaction score
I hope to get some advice. I’ve included a picture of my mock up template. I want to create a dashboard panel for my instrument cluster. I want to include speedometer, switches, key switch, hoke and horn buttons and kill lanyard. I’m trying to decide on material. Stainless steel or polished aluminum would be nice, oak or acrylic is a consideration. I want to stay on the ‘flavor’ of a 1950’s boat. The shape will either be oval or rectangular with rounded corners. Opinions?4D5F6745-766E-4318-9C4C-132F13CD904C.jpeg

I tried red oak in a boat. It all split within 3 years. Never again.
Yea, oak doesnt work well in the high humidity, that is a plus for mahogony, it weathers well with just a top sealer like varnish. In this case the dash could be made from anything, then a mahogany venier could be added, but to stay in the 50's era, mahogany was the popular choice and still is today for boats with wood trim. However, it is up to the owner, SS always looks good, aluminum will tarnish, but many plastics out there in a variety of colors and finnishes....just not very 50's era...

Yea, oak doesnt work well in the high humidity, that is a plus for mahogony, it weathers well with just a top sealer like varnish. In this case the dash could be made from anything, then a mahogany venier could be added, but to stay in the 50's era, mahogany was the popular choice and still is today for boats with wood trim. However, it is up to the owner, SS always looks good, aluminum will tarnish, but many plastics out there in a variety of colors and finnishes....just not very 50's era...
What type of finish do you suggest? I’d like to see the natural grain and also have a good gloss.

Aluminum might match the era. Run a buffer across it, and then drill and cut. Some like to spray clear lacquer or poly over them to keep the shine, but I hate stuff that peels. I prefer to buff and wax with Nu Finish. It will stay nice for years that way.

Lately, I've been using synthetic dash material. It comes in many finishes. Some of it is very good looking stuff, and some looks like wood.

Mahogany or teak look great, too. Just make sure to seal them well so they look good for a long time.

Making your own stuff is fun

Aluminum might match the era. Run a buffer across it, and then drill and cut. Some like to spray clear lacquer or poly over them to keep the shine, but I hate stuff that peels. I prefer to buff and wax with Nu Finish. It will stay nice for years that way.

Lately, I've been using synthetic dash material. It comes in many finishes. Some of it is very good looking stuff, and some looks like wood.

Mahogany or teak look great, too. Just make sure to seal them well so they look good for a long time.

Making your own stuff is fun
Thank you for your reply. When you purchase aluminum, what grade do you use and where do you purchase it?

Another option might be to make it out of aluminum and get a sign painter to make an overlay out of vinyl, or glue that synthetic dash material that thill mentioned on to it.
I had a plastic dashboard panel that started self-destructing, went the aluminum route and got carbon fiber design vinyl off a buddy of mine who is a sign painter, it looks just like the original one and will no longer crack. "GOOD" vinyl will last a very long time before any issues arise.

In the old days we called that engine turning, using a light abrasive we made overlapping circular swirl marks. Looks awesome if done well, haven't saw that in some time...

Latest posts