De-carbonizing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pappy said:
Wasn't clear what you were going to do so I clarified it. We are on the same page.

No worries. Appreciate the help!! I forgot I had an extra fuel hose though, albeit an old one. No primer bulb though. How tough are they to use without the bulb, especially the way I'm trying to use it without the fuel tank end fitting?

Start the engine with the standard fuel supply hose and tank. Once started switch to the other hose and fuel supply. You can either leave the engine running or shut it down to switch. Engine may run long enough to pull fuel. Probably the best way is to pull the tank end off the hose with the primer bulb and use it.

Did this on Sunday with no issues. Used Dunk's method of 3/4 gallons of gas mixed with 16 oz. of Seafoam and 3 oz. oil. Warmed up the engine for a while and then removed the fuel tank side fitting on my fuel line and stuck it in the mixture. Cruised around for 15 minutes at about 2000 rpms. Shut it down for 15 minutes and repeated. A lot of smoke on startup after the 15 minute rest and a little more smoke than usual afterwards, but nothing crazy. Did seem to have a little more "pep" afterwards though. Might have just been in my head, who knows. Either way I feel better after doing it.

Figured id show a better pic of the piston since I've decided to take the motor apart for the winter to replace the piston rings and reed valves. This is after a can of the seafoam deepcreep.
3c9f1c2a8ec44f477d0038502ae81054.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Seafoam did a nice job on my Merc 7.5.
Ran nice to begin with, and idled a bit better after Seafoaming.

Followed directions from Seafoam.
Noticed a lot of the carbon on the tops of the pistons was still there.
Poured Seafoam into the cylinders and let sit over night (laying down, pistons up, and mid-stroke so that Seafoam did not leak down).
After approx. 12 hours, the Seafoam was dark colored from dissolving carbon.
Lightly Seafoamed as usual again, and this time approximately 60% of the carbon was removed from the tops of the pistons.

Latest posts