Deck modification to my Triton 1650 SC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, mines a 1650 Fisher, my back deck is a little different it has two small bait livewells one left sife one right side and a big livewell between them for fish. Im probably gonna scoot my gas tank back and cut my back deck back 14" so I can sit closer to the motor. Just imagine having a tiller on the back of your boat lol. I sit Indian style when running thats the only way I can do it comfortably. But I figure I can do that for now then if I find a good remote motor I can just sit on the coler since it will be about the same space.I love hows yours turned out but I want a center console I keep eyein those alumacraft 1650 cc boats

Well, I finally put it in the water today. Definitely more bow-heavy, but the waterline at the bow is still not above the water line of the bottom paint, so, that's a good sign.

It turns sharper at high speed and at low speed. It also planes off faster. Also, at wide open throttle, I trimmed out until the prop started catching air, and the bow never bounced one time.

I did notice it's a bit heavy on the starboard side, probably because of the battery over there.

Worst case scenario, I may move that portable 12 gallon tank back to the stern, on the port side, to bring a little bit of weight to the back, and to balance it out to the port side. But that's no major loss, I can use the empty space under the starboard side of the platform for some storage, (maybe a 6 gallon spare tank?) and if nothing else, put another billet of flotation foam in there.

While it was T-shirt weather on the hill, that wasn't the case on the water, it was blowing pretty bad out there, but I still did my test run.

Overall, I'm happy with the modifications, it's definitely an improvement of deck space, as well as boat handling and performance. May have to do some fine tuning (like moving the portable tank) but other than that, I think it turned out good.

Sweet rig! What size merc do you have? And what's the purpose of the two ropes and clips on the bow? Do you rig your anchor a special way?

I watched your video, good job man. I am sure you will get her tweeked out. I like the way you recycled the old locker, and the cooler too. What is next on your plate? =D>

vahunter said:
Sweet rig! What size merc do you have? And what's the purpose of the two ropes and clips on the bow? Do you rig your anchor a special way?

it's a 50 HP 2 stroke merc. The boat is actually rated for a 60, but I went with a 50, as I operate in a lot of shallow water, I didn't want to add more weight and more draft.

The ropes with the clips are for attaching to my dock lines, I have them tied off to a certain length on my dock cleats, with a loop in the end, so, all I have to do to tie up at the dock is click a snap on the bow and stern. Also, I do use the clips when I anchor sometimes....as I keep my anchor rope daisy-chained, I can let off the amount I need, then clip to the end loop of the daisy chain, and this locks the rope at that length.

I've also got a set of stern lines with clips like this, they work really good for making a towing bridle to tow boats back to the hill.

bigwave said:
I watched your video, good job man. I am sure you will get her tweeked out. I like the way you recycled the old locker, and the cooler too. What is next on your plate? =D>

I went ahead and moved that portable tank to the stern, on the port side. That seemed to level the boat up a little bit, and now it's not listing to the starboard like it was before. With the gas tank moved out from under the platform, it gives me a good spot to put the container with the anchor, and maybe a few other things, like hip waders. I'll have to do another test run and see how it runs with the weight moved around.

Yeah, as far as turning the locker into a locker and a cooler, that worked out good. I love when I can re-use stuff and save time and money in the process. It just sucks I couldn't do that with the factory platform....but the factory platform would have been about 3 inches too short, because of that sloped plate between the 2 deck levels.

As for what's next.....how about a small, aluminum hull jetboat with a supercharged engine? :wink:
That project is still a little way off, like this coming winter. But it will be a fast little boat, with a rock proof hull....and, it will definitely be another season of "American Jetboat", complete with the humor and dysfunction as usual! :mrgreen:

Awesome, I cant wait to see that one, I think you should make it a twin engine super charged jet boat....then you could James Bond those little spoil islands. I could just picture you jumping over them, instead of going around them........ 8)

bigwave said:
Awesome, I cant wait to see that one, I think you should make it a twin engine super charged jet boat....then you could James Bond those little spoil islands. I could just picture you jumping over them, instead of going around them........ 8)

Yeah, my buddy says we should just go ahead and do the twin engine build. I agree, except, twin engines means twice as much money to invest....and I'm a cheap SOB....LOL.

As far as being able to just go over sandbars, the intercooled supercharged engine would be the way to go for that, as it has a closed-loop cooling system, debris will not clog that engine (you still have to be careful, though, because it does use water from the pump to feed water to the waterbox....if you run it dry, you can melt a hose) But other than that, as long as the heat exchanger plate is in contact with water, the closed loop engines won't run hot.

This afternoon, I went for another test run in the boat, and took my girlfriend with me, to see how it ran with an extra person in the back.

Even with that 12 gallon tank moved to the stern on the port side, there was no issue with porpoising, the boat still had sharp steering response and good handling in turns, and it got on plane quickly, even with the engine trimmed up a little bit (before the modification, I had to trim all the way down to take off, and even then, the stern wanted to plow)

So, I think I've got it right this time. I knew it was just a minor adjustment required. Hated to put anything in the stern, but it turns out I had enough room for that tank, turned long-ways in fact, and even with my storage box under there. =D>

And at least with the portable tank, I can move the thing around to clean underneath it, unlike the fixed position tank with its 1/2" of anaerobic bacteria slime growing underneath :sick: