Delaware River, Delaware State

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Fished a "spot" that a buddy gave me on near the DE River on a feeder stream. The target was striped bass - the catch, was not

Headed out yesterday evening and managed to get to the location before dark to do a little reconnaissance. Water looked good - it was just after high tide and things looked fishy - not a lot of action but we did spot a seagull eating what appeared to be a shad or herring. We waded in and began poking around trying to find those stripers

After about 15 minutes I get a nice tug on my lure but the fish pops off. A few casts later I hook up and land what was certainly not a striped bass. It was a sucker that I managed to foul hook!

3-17-09_001.jpg

We continue to poke around and I get a few more bumps from what I am guessing is my stick bait hitting suckers or carp. Oh well, at least there was something going on. As the tide moves out I cast a 5" x-rap downstream and work it across some deeper water - WHAM! FISH ON.

I land the fish in the now almost complete darkness and my buddy yells out "what did you get?" I reply, a "Smallie - I think." It was almost dark and the fish was flopping around with a rear treble stuck in the mouth. I touch the fish and. . . . no scales. I yell back "It is a trout." he replies, "what kind" I figure Brown because I have caught them (as by catch) while fishing stick baits in the past.

He wades over and takes one look and states: "nope, that is a brookie." Cool, I have only caught a few of those and never on a jerk bait.

No DE trout stamp so back it goes to make little brookies for next year.

3-17-09_002.jpg

We had a blast trying a new spot and even though the stripers were not playing I think they will be there next time. Oh course I always think that the next time will be "the time." Keeps me coming back

Latest posts