Don’t laugh

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I’m almost 50 years old, and the one thing that I can’t figure out no matter how hard I try is ratchet strap tie-downs. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part of them? Threading the strap through the ratchet?
Don't feel bad........I, too, sometimes have to do it a second time to get it right.
Now we can laugh at ourselves. :LOL2:

Roger

Both! :LOL2:

I had to throw the last one I got because I couldn't figure out how to unwind it. :LOL2:

My Brother-In-Law laughs at me because he does it with his eyes closed. :lol:

I'm doing my best - but suppressing the laughter is making me choke here, Jim.

I've been using cargo straps for over 40 years...never had a problem.

But I'm sure you do everything else magnificently , Jim.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Happy New Year. Let's hope 2022 is less bumpy.

Jim said:
I had to throw the last one I got because I couldn't figure out how to unwind it. :LOL2:

My Brother-In-Law laughs at me because he does it with his eyes closed. :lol:

Now, I've had that problem, myself, even though the majority of them use the same locking device that has to be retracted in order to pull the strap off the reel. It seem they have a problem with the reel not wanting to rotate, and I wonder if it's due to a rough finish on the lower-cost ratchets. This in turn causes the ratchet to fold up on your fingers, that (of course), locks the reel so it can't unwind.

As to the BIL.....ignore him, but keep an eye out for some of his shortcomings. You'll know what to do. :wink: :twisted:

Roger

It is kind of weird how certain parts need to be unfolded, clicked, etc for the thing to unwind. I can do it, but doubt I could explain how to do it. For me the problem used to be because I leave too much loose stuff & by the time I ratchet it all up the spool is jammed tight. #-o

Don't feel bad, everyone who uses the low end ratchet straps has trouble because they are very easily bent or damaged.
I used the commercial grade heavy straps on my flat bed trailer to tie down diesel electric gen sets for years. They work quite well but they are pricey. My boss used to ask me why I needed $3000 worth of chains and straps. My answer was how many $500,000 gen sets do I need to drop on the highway to pay for them.

John

Best straps I've ever had were from a BMW mechanic who took them off bikes shipped to his shop. Must have been designed for long-distance shipping of expensive motorcycles. Tighten once, go forever.

Latest posts