Drilling 3/4" hole in side of boat....Tips/Advice

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of ideas and observations:

I use a hole saw to cut through the hull for the through hull. Dozens done and never a problem. Use silicone sealer and stainless hose clamps. Screw the pump to a piece of cutting board (or HDPE), to keep the pump upright and out of the debris. Replacement will be a breeze. If you get vibration, glue the HDPE to the hull with a dollop of silicone sealant.
... just be aWARE that not silicones are made for application or use on aluminum, where the curing agent can corrode tin ...

mervebitanem

Reaction score
My bilge pump hose runs up to the top of the transom Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox where I have a 90 degree barbed fitting that points over the top of the transom.

Last edited:

cyclops2

Reaction score
I always put all bilge pumps in a piece of S S screen BAG closed at the top with a electrical Ty Rap. keeps all the tiny bits of fish line & other junk from clogging the pump. Bits of small baits also can be stopped.

I DO NOT ever wire any bilge pumps to the battery directly. Reason is heavy rains WILL WILL run the battery down to far and cause it to fail too quickly. I go to the boat and stand on a seat next to the control panel. Start the engine first to a fast idle. THEN turn on the pump. My small boat battery is about 8 years old & still fine.