E15

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomowork

Reaction score
Just read this in an email from BoatUS:

The Environmental Protection Agency has taken the next step in paving the way for additional ethanol to show up at the gas pump. When the agency granted permission for gasoline containing up to 15% ethanol (E15) to be used in 2001 and newer automobiles, they asked what measures should be taken to prevent it from being used in other engines. BoatUS, along with many other groups, urged the Agency to require significant safeguards be put in place to prevent the misfueling of boats and other engines--click here to see our comments. On June 28th, EPA rolled out its solution – a small, orange-colored label for E15 gas pumps and a promise to conduct a public education campaign. Click here to see the EPA notice.

"With EPA paving the road for E15, boaters will have to be vigilant when fueling, particularly at roadside gas stations where it will likely appear first," said BoatUS Vice President of Government Affairs, Margaret Podlich. "I encourage every one to start now, and get in the habit of always reading the labels on the fuel pump before you even remove the nozzle, no matter what you are fueling."

I won't put that crap in my car, no way would I even think about putting it into a small motor. [-X

High test only for this guy!

C

moloch16 said:
wihil said:

By high test I assume you mean high octane. You can have E15 gasoline that is still high octane, so don't use octane to determine if the gasoline is "good".

I suppose I should have clarified - around here the only gas that you can get without ethanol (with the exception of a few stations that I avoid like the plague) is the high octane, 93, gas. The others (87/89/ and sometimes 91) are almost always blends. Costs a little more, but I swear the car handles the 93 MUCH better than the blended gas.

Small motors always get at least 93 in my house - even the weedwacker eats good here. :lol:

C

Boat owners need to just face it. Ethanol blends are almost the exclusive fuel in places.

The only REAL issue with boat owners is fuel/water separation. Other than maintaining a relatively low amount of fuel in the tank I'm not sure what can be done about it.

Outboard builders, and part suppliers need to create parts that are ethanol resistant. Hoses on older carb'd outboards can be replaced with ethanol compatible hoses.

We need to stop trying to fight it, and instead, find ways to make it work.

High performance boaters should be EMBRACING E85.

wihil said:
moloch16 said:
wihil said:

By high test I assume you mean high octane. You can have E15 gasoline that is still high octane, so don't use octane to determine if the gasoline is "good".

I suppose I should have clarified - around here the only gas that you can get without ethanol (with the exception of a few stations that I avoid like the plague) is the high octane, 93, gas. The others (87/89/ and sometimes 91) are almost always blends. Costs a little more, but I swear the car handles the 93 MUCH better than the blended gas.

Small motors always get at least 93 in my house - even the weedwacker eats good here. :lol:

C

I understand what you are saying. The high octane fuel in your area doesn't typically have Ethanol.

But that is just the way it is blended and the octane rating isn't indicative of the ethanol content. Or lack of.
In fact, H/P engine builders are running boost and timing curves that they would normally run with 110 octane race fuel, when running readily available and MUCH cheaper E85.

My brand new Honda four stroke manual warns of not using anything more than E10 and even with that, to run the motor dry after each use so as little fuel as possible is left in the system.

My "new to me" 1996 Mercury owner's manual says the same thing! :shock:

Even though I run the motors dry until they stop, there's still some gas in the system where the fuel line clips in. I think I may have to just drain that part manually.

Maybe by next summer I'll convert my engine to burn E85. Won't be the absolute most practical, but stations are spaced in areas I would fish in MI, WI, MN, just not in IN. And even then, a little bit out of my way but not bad.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/rob/maib2.htm

Here is a link I found that addresses converting an older outboard to run on E85.

One thing In that article I found interesting was the bucket pictures. Dirty=gasolene, MUCH cleaner=E85
petro-15-a-s.jpg
ethanol-bucket-2-s.jpg

yea we will get E15 and the funny part is we will still pay the same price if not more for it. Funny how that happens?!? :BS:

might as well.....

33-pissedoff.jpg

Latest posts