Easiest to crank boat winch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airshot

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Due to age and body abuse, I have torn rotator cuffs in my shoulders, which makes hard cranking of the winch difficult at best. My current 16' alum Sylvan and OB weigh at just under 2000 lb total weight. The current winch appears to just adequate for the job, and the handle appears short. So I am thinking of replacing it, my research has shown that electric winches are not that well liked, troublesome and slow. So...is there such a thing as an easy to crank manual winch to easily handle my 2000 lb load. Most winches I have looked at, all talk about quality of build, nothing about ease of cranking. So what are your recomendations, thoughts or ideas. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

They do make 2-speed winches that have a lower gear. It definitely lessens the torque ot force needed, however it increases the length of time you need to crank as a consequence.

Link = https://www.etrailer.com/search/2+speed+Winch

But you may also want to consider an electric winch, PowerWinch is one brand.

Electric winch was my first thought, however most of my reading shows the owners are not happy with them. Primary use is on larger boats, but most stste that if there boat was smaller they would go back to manual winch. It appears there are a number of issues with being very slow, wiring issues often, poor performance for the expense. Those who were pleased were very few....so...I turned my thoughts back to manual winch, just wondering about any tips or tricks to make the cranking easier

airshot said:
Electric winch was my first thought ... Those who were pleased were very few....so...I turned my thoughts back to manual winch, just wondering about any tips or tricks to make the cranking easier.
Well, one aspect to consider is the boat ramps you use!

How angled is the ramp and how deep do you need to drop the trailer in? For example, on a steeper ramp - if you added side guide posts off the trailer frame to keep the boat aligned straight on the trailer - it may be possible to get the bow within a few feet of the winch post. That and a 2-speed manual winch (link previously posted, but Eastern Marine is another good trailer parts source, link = www.easternmarine.com) should do it.

Also look over your trailer. If a bunk trailer, put vinyl gutter material on the carpeted bunks, or lower the bunks and add those roller assemblies on top, to make the hull easier to move.

Thanks for the reply, I have a roller trailer, no bunks, so it shoukd be easy to crank up...our ramps are shallow, you have to back in a long ways!! Even with my back wheels on my Jeep in the water, the rear roller is just at the water line, so your cranking a long way. Been looking at my winch, mabey to small for the job...thought about adding a longer handle or maby going to a 2 speed. Just getting some ideas here, thanks

Wow, that is a shallow ramp.

I'm assuming your rollers are set as low as possible. If you replaced the rollers with bunks, would you be able to lower the boat more? If so, that might be something to consider.

Because our water levels are so low, I have been launching at "drought ramp" that is shallower than I"m used to. I do have to back in further, but even so the boat will float until the bow stem is close to the front roller. So I'm still only cranking 3' or 4' and the rear of the boat is still floating. I too have some shoulder issues. If I had to winch it in as far as I'm thinking you have to, I would be changing arms more than once, no matter how good the gear ratio. And, I would be asking the same question.

The feedback about elect winches you shared is disappointing. That would have seemed to be a good solution.

Or ... just make up a 6' to 8' trailer tongue extension, just to be used to back IN and OUT - not for trailering use otherwise ... back that sucker up and load her easily! Switch it out once up on the level in the parking lot.

You just need a first mate! :D

The two-speed sounds like a good choice. I see there are ones with 4:1 and 8:1 ratios, but you have to move the handle to switch between them. 8:1 is probably way overkill and is probably meant for lifting more verticle. One with just a sellector switch would be great.

I have replaced winches with higher capacity and higher ratio. I think the oem was 3:1 and the replacement was 4:1. Three/four revolutions to turn the spool one revolution. It definetly made it easier, especially on that last 3,4 feet. While it is more revolutions to get the boat on, overall, it will feel easier to do.

Measure what your current ratio is and try to get one that is 1 or 2 higher.

Not sure if you can find longer, matching handles. Most of my trailers, the handle comes close to hitting the bow in those last 6", and longer would be another problem to solve.

I have a hitch extender that adds another 12" to the length of my hitch and that helps, so does having an easy to slip into pair of boots to wade out, these allow the vehicle to get back deeper...This winter I will be having surgery, so will need something easy to crank next spring also. Unfortunately most of my fishing parteners have passed on, moved away, have health issues so they cant go or they still work!! Wife has health issues so she has to stay home, so...much of my fishing is by myself, thus the reason to make things easier.

It’s impossible with available products to decrease the effort without losing speed. It’s just the way gears work.…With the roller trailer you are already reducing friction significantly. I would suggest the electric winch……it may be slow, but it removes your physical effort from the equation completely…..It will just be slower.

I am looking at a "Fulton" 2 speed winch, it has a 2600 lb capacity which is way over kill, but should be easier to crank. Best part is you can change speeds without moving crank handle!! I could see dropping the nut or handle in the drink as I have to have the back wheels of my Jeep in the water, so the winch will be over water...there is a lever to change gear ratios when the cranking gets tough. My current winch is about a 3.75 to 1 ratio but fairly short handle. This Fulton unit is 5 to 1 and 12 to 1 with a longer handle than current winch so I should be gaining both ways. If anyone has any information on these please pass it along, or any other ideas.

Fulton winches have been around a long time. It should do well for you. I think you will find the 5:1 a good improvement over your current. Probably won't need the 12:1, but just knowing you have it, just in case, would be piece of mind. :)

The Fulton 2 speed is a nice winch. I like the neutral gear feature.

In case you haven't see it, here is a video from eTrailer:

https://videos.etrailer.com/static/images/video/Demo-Fulton-Trailer-Winch-F142416_web.mp4

Thanks for the video, I watched a similiar video from Fulton. The winch I bought is a Fulton but made for West Marine, the only difference is the west versuon is powder coated rather than plated. I only use in fresh water, so lacking the zink plate is no big deal. The cool part is the drum dia being so much bigger and only holding a 20' strap makes a real mechanical advantage !! Then addon the extra handle length, and it makes this crank really easy. I pulled my boat back a couple inches on the trailer then used this new winch to pull it forward. The old winch took two hands on the handle, but this new one was a breeze with little effort. Also the handle on the crank is made very comfortable rubber, not hard plastic. This winch normally sells with no strap at close to 150 bucks, but thru West Marine they include the strap at 120 bucks. Same 5 yr warranty thru Fulton. Very well made is my first impression, heavy duty and heavy in weight !! Also a big winch, much bigger than the original, in fact it was a very close fit on the winch stand. Hopeing to splash it tomorrow to test in real world scenerio.

They sure are pretty when new……….

Fallon makes good products. I bought the F2 trailer Jack last year. Built like a tank…..

Update on my replacement winch, I finally had a coyple chances to splash my boat and try out the new two speed winch. Works great is all I can say, the winch itself is easier to crank with the 5 to one ratio and longer 10" handle, the larger diameter drum also gives a mechanical advantage. When the winching became hard near the end, moving a simple lever to engage the 12 to one ratio was really easy !!! I thought all the extra cranking with that ratio would not be an advantage but it really was......it was so easy to spin the handle I could have done it with my finger !!! There was no pressure on my bad shoulder and it was very easy to use my left arm to finnish the loading. Nicely built winch, very smooth operation, easy to lube andvreally easy to crank. The 12 to 1 ratio didnt seem that slow actually, but only used it for the last two feet or less. It certainly made things easier for this old man......

I’m a guy with 2 bad shoulders…..that’s on my list now…..as of now a strategically placed roller helps bit as my issues progress (they do with age) I will be going this route………

Latest posts