Easily removable battery extension cables

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
What’s up fellas?

Got my first boat last week - a Lowe 1448M. Not the most handy person so I’m looking for some guidance from more experienced vets.

I would like to mount a trolling motor to the bow. I want to put the battery at the stern to help with weight distribution and to keep it out of the way.

The side of the boat has an indentation in it that is perfect for running wire through. I bought 15 foot 4 gauge battery cable but now am wondering what to do from here.

The boat is going to be kept at a dock area away from my house so I’d like to remove the trolling motor and battery each time I’m done. What would be the best way to do this?

I guess I’m looking for some plugs that I can splice onto the motor’s wires as well as one side of the extension cable that can be plugged into each other on that end. Or can I put ring terminals on that end of the extension cable and then combine the existing ring terminals from the motor and the new ring terminals on the extension cord? What would I need to be able to do that?

And then for the other side of the extension cable, similar plugs as well as shorter wires that I can permanently keep on the battery that will also have a plug so I can easily plug it in and out on that side too?

The wires attached to my motor are probably 8 gauge, is it an issue plugging 8 gauge wires into a 4 gauge wire?

Thanks I’m advance guys

LDUBS said:
I used an Anderson connector to connect my trolling motor to the battery cable. I don't remove the TM but plug/unplug it for each use.

Anderson connectors look exactly like what I need.

Do you know if I can fit the trolling motor cables, which are probably 6 or 8 gauge, into a 4 gauge Anderson connector?

I’m reading that you can only connect two 4 gauge Anderson connectors together. A 4 gauge Anderson connector won’t fit with a 6-8 gauge Anderson connector. So I’d either need to just get 6-8 gauge connectors and shove the 4 gauge wire in one of them, or get 4 gauge connectors and put the TM in one, or return my 4 gauge extension cable and get 6 gauge instead so I can just use the 6-8 gauge connectors properly. But I think for the distance I plan to run it’s recommended to use 4 gauge.

Usually when I'm using a small wire in a large connector I fold the wire to double it up inside the connector ( I.e. : using 18ga wire in a 10ga butt connector)

For the trolling motor, Minn kota has a "quick release bracket" that I use on my bow mount TM

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

The Anderson connectors are color coded to allow for some different gauge cables to be used. For example, the SB120 model comes in 2, 4, or 6 gauge. A 4 gauge red connector will work with a 6 gauge red connector. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure they make a connector that is recommended for use with 4 ga and 8 ga wire. That is where GYPSY400's advice comes in handy.

LDUBS said:
The Anderson connectors are color coded to allow for some different gauge cables to be used. For example, the SB120 model comes in 2, 4, or 6 gauge. A 4 gauge red connector will work with a 6 gauge red connector. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure they make a connector that is recommended for use with 4 ga and 8 ga wire. That is where GYPSY400's advice comes in handy.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

I'm late to the party but Anderson connectors are what you need. If installing them is a bit out of your skill set then the ProControll trolling motor wire harness is very nice and more plug and play. They sell 2 different types. One is pricey at $100 or so and one is roughly $35. You pick with one you need.

Latest posts