End of week Smoke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Took a couple of days off from work to take the kids to Story Land in NH, but My little one was sick and with the temps supposed to be close to 100 and humid, we decided to pass. I got motivated to cook on the smoker, so it began. I went down to the local warehouse and scored a 7 pound pork butt and a 4.5 pound brisket. Washed them off and paper towel dried them. Rubbed them with a secret rub 8) and threw them on the smoker just after midnight. I am hoping for a noonish lunch. Here are the pics I have so far. The temp in the smoker as I type this has been a steady 228 degrees. I have the remote thermometer ready to alert me if the smoker goes above 230 and if the brisket goes above 165.

Cleaned, washed, scored.......
IMG_1614.jpg

Lathered and rubbed.........
IMG_1615.jpg

The Weber WSM with coals and wood chunks ready for lighting
IMG_1616.jpg

Fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 5:30AM temp in the smoker dropped down to 195. Better to go down than up in my opinion. :lol:

I adjusted the vents and it is sitting at 225 again. Temprature of the brisket is 149. When it reaches 165 I am going to foil it and pull it off the smoker when it reaches 190, let it sit wrapped until it reaches 195.

Im hungry! :LOL2:

Making progress. You read about having 2 thermometers, I agree 100%. I was watching the remote one and noticed the temperature was not going up. I used a cheapo instant thermometer and sure enough it was 165 degrees. I replaced the batteries on the Remote thermometer and we were back to normal. Time for foil..........

Just before foiling!
IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

Finally awoke from the food induced coma and below are the end results.

The Brisket after reaching 190 and sitting wrapped in 2 layers of foil and towels.
IMG_1622.jpg

The "smoke ring"...........How's it look?
IMG_1623.jpg

The Pork butt. I was so excited to shred it that I forgot to take a picture of it.
IMG_1624.jpg

Everyone loved the Pork Butt, I agree it came out awesome. It is all gone. The Brisket....not so much. I am just not feeling the Brisket. It is not that it is dry, but not as moist as the butt. It was ok, but not a fan favorite.

Hey Jim, looks great! You said the family wasn't entirely thrilled with the brisket, what was the chief complaint? The things I founds wasn't doing right at first weren't not letting the meat rest long enough and not cutting it properly.

Latest posts