Evel Knievel edition 1975 Evinrude 15hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall Tiller

Reaction score
Not really, but I think it fits with the look I gave it.
Picked the little motor up last year, pulled carb off, it was real clean, put it back together set it in barrel and it fired up on second pull.
Mounted it on a 14/36 Alumacraft, and took it out, and it ran great.
Do these little motors just spit water out or should there be a steady stream. Took lower unit off the other day to replace water pump, and the one that's in it looks brand new? So just wondering if they just kinda spit water cause that's what it does. Going to go ahead and put the new pump assembly in it and see if any difference.

Attachments

• 20230219_200425.jpg
    20230219_200425.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1
I had the 9.9 hp Johnson version of that motor.
Mine never had a steady stream coming out of it.
When the motor was first started and cold, the water Simple’s spritzed out of the back in little pulses.
Always pulsed, and never a steady flow.
Even warmed up and running hard there was much more water coming out but still not a steady stream.
Later models adopted the “telltale” stream which mercury motors of that time already had.

I had a 74 Evinrude 9.9 which is the same motor except for the carb. It will spit water out the back. I believe they put the tell-tale stream on the later 70's version of that motor.

Not really, but I think it fits with the look I gave it.
Picked the little motor up last year, pulled carb off, it was real clean, put it back together set it in barrel and it fired up on second pull.
Mounted it on a 14/36 Alumacraft, and took it out, and it ran great.
Do these little motors just spit water out or should there be a steady stream. Took lower unit off the other day to replace water pump, and the one that's in it looks brand new? So just wondering if they just kinda spit water cause that's what it does. Going to go ahead and put the new pump assembly in it and see if any difference.
I had a 74 Johnson 15, it spits water, at full throttle and on a warm day it's a fair amount of water but not like the tell tale stream of an old Merc or todays Yamaha's. Enjoy the hell out of that engine, she's bullet proof, as a kid you do stupid things and I sold mine to pay for car insurance. Big mistake.

Latest posts