everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troutman3000 said:
Bugpac said:
Troutman, how much are you ordering? I did mine cod, It cost 9.00 more or something, but was much easier for me than sending the check etc.. I need about 1/2 pint to fix a few spots on my boat..

I was getting a gallon and plan on doing the entire outside of the boat. I plan on sending in the check because I have some time to wait while it gets welded. I can work on a lot of things until it comes in. Im not sure if I will have any left over or not. You can use some for your touch up if you take me to some of your fishing holes/

Ill take you anytime, Cant guarantee you'll catch anything, but i will take ya... :) My anticipation is that Yargo will be on fire bad weekend after next.. It is down 8' and the water is warming.. The ramp is not passible, But ill fix that next week when i get back... :)

Only point would be preventative maintenance, and a little bit slicker of a bottom. All it would take is a quick roughing up of the stock paint, and slapping the steelflex on.

cali27 said:
Thanks dyeguy.
i placed my order, i got the stuff without teflon and the olive colour. How long do i have to wait between coats?

I'd recommend waiting overnight at least.

cali27 said:
Thanks dyeguy.
i placed my order, i got the stuff without teflon and the olive colour. How long do i have to wait between coats?

Nussy said:

Jerry at Fasco said the best time to put the second coat on is while the first coat has the same tack as masking tape. On my boat, I believe it was about 2 hrs after I applied the first coat. If you wait overnight, the first coat dries and becomes very slick, so you'll have to scuff all of it up again to get a good bond with the second coat.

If you question what is right...call FASCO.

I am working on mine next weekend and want to make sure that I dont waste any at all.

How much did everyone use for each batch?

What did you mix it in?

What is the best applicator for a nice finish?

Brine said:
cali27 said:
Thanks dyeguy.

Nussy said:

Jerry at Fasco said the best time to put the second coat on is while the first coat has the same tack as masking tape. On my boat, I believe it was about 2 hrs after I applied the first coat. If you wait overnight, the first coat dries and becomes very slick, so you'll have to scuff all of it up again to get a good bond with the second coat.

If you question what is right...call FASCO.
brine is correct. thats the same thing jerry told me. and it worked.

I bought an old 14 ft. flat bottom last night for $100. It has a crack in the bottom that the previous owner said leaked very slightly. Not a big deal because i have a friend who can weld aluminum. I do have a few questions however:

1. there is some stuff (looks like a filler of some sort) on all the rivets on the bottom of the boat. Will steelflex stick to things like that if i sand them down? or do i need to remove that stuff?

2. the transom wood needs to be replaced. I'll probably use pan head screws (or something else based on recommendation) to attach the new wood. should i put the wood in first and then apply the steelflex? or steelflex first, then attach the transom wood and use another type of sealer?

I have seen some pictures that people posted of the process they used for applying steelflex, but I can't find them now. Would anyone happen to have those threads handy? Maybe we could add them to this thread?
I seem to remember someone found a certain pattern of pouring/rolling that they thought worked best.

WhiteMoose said:
I have seen some pictures that people posted of the process they used for applying steelflex, but I can't find them now. Would anyone happen to have those threads handy? Maybe we could add them to this thread?
I seem to remember someone found a certain pattern of pouring/rolling that they thought worked best.

I WOULD LIKE TO SECOND THAT AS I'M WAITING FOR MY STEELFLEX TO COME IN.

Buffords Build -

Nussy's Build -

And I'll share what I got from Nussy and Bugpac from them in pm's

Previous PM in history | Next PM in history | Previous PM | Next PM Print view

Message subject: Re: everything steelflex
Sent: Yesterday, 22:48
To: Troutman3000

Write comments

Delete postReport this postReply with quote
Here's the steelflex rundown.

Mix the pigment with the hardener. It's the cloudy part. The other part is crystal clear. Get a paint mixer for a drill and mix it REALLY well. If you don't have one they have at Harbor Freight for like $5. It will be the best investment you make!!!! When you think you mixed it enough. Mix for another 2 minutes.

I picked ups some cheap measuring cups at the $1 store, and just threw them out when I was done. We mixed like 4 cups at a time. From what I've read it pretty important have accurate measurements so that it hardens appropriately. Also make sure to mix really well.

Try to work with a partner and have him drizzle the steelflex on the boat and then push it around with a 4" foam roller. You will need lots of rollers(I think I went through 10) because pushing around the steelflex wears the rollers quickly. He can mix and drizzle while you roll it on. The bottom is pretty easy but when you get to the sides put it on really thin so it doesn't sag. You can then go back over it with a second coat.

I did 2 coats.

***NOTE the Super Slick Steelflex 2000 has teflon and can only be put on in a single coat***

Don't rush, you have time to work with the stuff. You may need to go back over some areas which seams to work OK. Once it starts to harden. Don't try to touch it up. You can end up with a goey mess. I know the last couple sentences sound contradictory but you'll understand once you start working with it.

Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck.

Make sure to do it when the temperature is over 70 degrees. Otherwise it doesn't harden fast enough.

Nussy
1992 15' Mirrocraft
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10751
1980 17; Sea Nymph Traveler
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11365

Bug Pac

You should have a can that says neutral on it, I mixed all the pigment in that can, stir with a piant stick, When mixing, id mix about 1 pint at a time, I used some paint cups i got here.. Stir with paint sticks or something similar. I put on 2 coats, the first seemed too transparent..

Bugpac said:
You have to use neutral to color it.. They have i believe red/blue/black/white and olive drab..

Just called this morning. They also have a forrest green color. I debated about getting it, but I haven't seen any pictures of the forrest green, so I took the safe route and went with Olive.

Thanks troutman! That will help a ton.
One sentence hit me in the gut though. Here in Iowa, it will be awhile before we hit 70 degrees :x
Maybe I can warm the stuff up in the oven first.

Thanks for sharing this.... I talked with jerry at fasco yesterday, and ordered the grey color. And I'm also considering dragging the darn boat into my basement to apply the steelflex cuz I live in Michigan....70 degree weather.... :LOL2: yeah like in july!!!!!!! I can't wait that long...just got to do it without the wifey finding out [-X

One more thing...the hull on my boat is textured. It's not smooth like newer jon boats. It has a texture that is dimpled all over like a golf ball. Would I be able to use steelflex on this boat?

Latest posts