everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mightymite45 said:
So which is better thick or thin?

Not sure if you are refering to several thin coats vs. One thick coat but imo for strength and durability one thick coat curing all at once would be better. But you still need to apply a very thin coat first which will bond to the aluminum per Jerry at Fasco. I put my 2nd and final coat on real thick on the bottom and thinner on the sides of my hull.

Here is a pic of my boat I just applied steelflex too. I used 1/2 the olive drab pigment for a gallon and it is still pretty dark.

Attachments

• 7 Aug 11d.jpg
    7 Aug 11d.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 2,902
Hello
I have just joined this site. I have been looking at the projects on here for a few weeks and may I say I am impressed.

Has anyone used Steelfex on the inside of the boat as well as the outside?

Troy M said:
Hello
I have just joined this site. I have been looking at the projects on here for a few weeks and may I say I am impressed.

I've seen it done but it's not advisable because it's so slick. I originally planned to go that route but have since seen the error of my ways and used Gluvit on the inside and am about to apply Steelflex on the outside. Only one or the other is really needed but I'm one of those belt AND suspenders kind of guys.

lukelona said:
how much does th steelflex cost?
what do you need for tools and supplies.
how is it applied?
where can i buy it in person
1. Depends how much you need. Its sold in a couple differnt sizes. 1 gallon shipped to OH was right about $65
2. All those items are mentioned in this thread. If you plan to use Steelflex, this thread is a must read.
3. Same answer as #2
4. You can't unless you live near thier location in FL. You have to order over the phone.

lukelona said:
how much does th steelflex cost?
what do you need for tools and supplies.
how is it applied?
where can i buy it in person

Yeah, it's a lot to sort through but there is definitely need-to-know information embedded within the 21+ pages of SteelFlex posts. Don't be afraid to call the folks at Fasco either. They are very knowledgeable, helpful and patient. I highly recommend at least one conversation with them before proceeding. Super-nice people.

Interesting note though. Fasco is now recommending prepping the surface by sanding with 30-60 grit sandpaper rather than the 100 grit I see referenced so often.

I just got done applying steel flex to entire outside of boat! This stuff was a Pain in the arse! but it works good I went with the olive drab color now that i am done applying steel flew i dont like the color as much as i did on my flat bottom can anyone tell me if they have had any success painting over steel flex i think i want to go with a grey color now!

Has anyone ever had to drill through the hull for any reason after Steelflex has been applied? If you had to drill later to install something like a bilge pump outlet, could it possibly cause the Steelflex to crack and chip?

Mojo^ said:
Has anyone ever had to drill through the hull for any reason after Steelflex has been applied? If you had to drill later to install something like a bilge pump outlet, could it possibly cause the Steelflex to crack and chip?

Steelflex is sandable, drillable, and the resistance to many things is awsome its pretty good stuff and yes I have drilled it without any problems!

On thing I will note is that I HATE STEELFLEX it is a fantastic product when finished but the ablility to repaint over the top of it with another kind a paint sucks per jerry at fasco you can only cover steel flex with more steel flex to me this seems like total BS I have not attempted covering with other kind of paint but thats what he said. IT IS A TOTAL PAIN IN *** TO APPLY

I thought the customer service lady was nice on the phone but totally lacking knowledge on the product evidently the only one there that seems to know there head from there butt is Jerry and each time i talked to him he seemed to be in a rush and dont feel that he took the time to answer my questions.

Finally, after a very long and hot summer rebuilding a 1542 Grumman Scrambler I applied Steelflex today. I used an ounce of grey pigment and added an additional 1/2 ounce of black to bump it a little darker. It's very close to what I consider a battleship grey now. I'll post pics in a day or two. The 1542 took an entire gallon of Steelflex and 6 hours working non-stop to coat the exterior surface up to the gunwale. Even at 80 degrees and only 25% humidity that stuff is very difficult to work with. I only mixed 1/2 cup of base and catalyst at a time for the first light coat and then doubled the amount for an extra thick second coat. Those who compare it to trying to paint with cake batter or honey are correct, that's exactly what it is like. I used a little different method than most people here have used. I don't know how you guys manage applying this stuff with a foam roller. I highly recommend using the phenolic core rollers made for epoxies that are sold buy U.S. Composites. I only used four rollers to do the entire boat and didn't have to worry about them falling apart.

Has anyone ever considered using a hot plate to heat-up the cans of base and catalyst to about 110 degrees or so?

duckwhisperer said:
How much steel flex do I need to do the bottom of a 14 ft v- hull?

Can you calculate the square footage? Jerry at Steelflex told me that 1 gal. will cover 400 sq. feet. (one light coat followd by one heavy coat) and he was pretty much spot-on with that estimate.

Mojo^ said:
Troy M said:
Hello

I've seen it done but it's not advisable because it's so slick. I originally planned to go that route but have since seen the error of my ways and used Gluvit on the inside and am about to apply Steelflex on the outside. Only one or the other is really needed but I'm one of those belt AND suspenders kind of guys.

So being slick is the only reason not to do the inside?

My Steelflex is on the way and was thinking about doing the floor area of the inside as well as the outside. My floor will be decked, so it won't be seen or stepped on. Main reason I was wanting to was to add double insurance to any leaks.

Thanks

When you dip your first scoop, you'll understand why. Gluvit flows more easily (much thinner) and has a longer pot life. It will seep into seams, welds, rivets or what have you. SteelFlex just kind of lays there waiting for you to push it around.

Mojo^ said:
When you dip your first scoop, you'll understand why. Gluvit flows more easily (much thinner) and has a longer pot life. It will seep into seams, welds, rivets or what have you. SteelFlex just kind of lays there waiting for you to push it around.

Well, I have a gallon of Steelflex coming and don't think I'll use it all on the bottom of my boat. Was just trying to think of something to use it on and add double insurance to leaks.

You'll end up mixing small batches together to work from. Anything you have left over, I'd hold on to. The shelf life should be okay to use again in the future if needed.

Brine said:
You'll end up mixing small batches together to work from. Anything you have left over, I'd hold on to. The shelf life should be okay to use again in the future if needed.

Yeah, from reading on here, I was gonna mix 1 quart at a time. I'm gonna give it a shot on the inside bottom and see how it works out. Definitely gonna save what I have left over.

Does anybody know the shelf life on steelflex? I ordered a gallon of black for my 14' jon boat. But it looks like I'm going to hold off on decking it out. Might be buying a house in the next month or so if everything goes good. Any ideas?

Latest posts