Evinrude 15HP help with model number, missing plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chetsteadman

Reaction score
Can anyone help my ID the model number on this 15hp Evinrude I picked up? Would like to get it running and need to order the correct parts. The model number and serial number plate is missing. Based on some googling I think it’s a 1975?

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1522.jpeg
    IMG_1522.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1521.jpeg
    IMG_1521.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to Tin Boats. I can only say it looks like 70’s era Evinrude. Others will have a better idea, but there will be a broad range of years that parts will fit.

I don't know for sure, but in my researching motors recently I've read that there is a plug on the motor that has the s/n on it.

Attaching a couple pics of my '75 9.9 for reference. Think it's basically the same motor.

Attachments

• Evinrude 9.9 26.jpg
    Evinrude 9.9 26.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Evinrude 9.9 29.jpg
    Evinrude 9.9 29.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
I don't know for sure, but in my researching motors recently I've read that there is a plug on the motor that has the s/n on it.

Attaching a couple pics of my '75 9.9 for reference. Think it's basically the same motor.
somewhere on the side, on a vertical surface of the block there is an aluminum disc about the size of a nickle or a quarter that has the model # stamped into it..
I always thought it was a freeze out plug ???

I have a ‘79 evinrude 9.9 that looks identical to yours & I believe you’re correct that the 15 h.p just has
a different carb . Some guys use to swap carbs out for lakes that had 10 h.p max rules.

I have heard this as well, didn't find anything like that on the inside. I will look again. Ordered a carb kit and fuel pump for a 1975, will see if everything is as it should be.