Evinrude control box

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

Reaction score
I have an Evinrude 50/35 outboard jet motor and I’m confused by the kill switch. I bought a new factory switch with the lanyard. The lanyard clips on the same place where the key goes and pushes the key in. When the lanyard comes off the button pops out and the engine stops. I can still start the engine without the lanyard connected. Is this correct? I thought when you pushed the key switch in it engaged the enricher solenoid? I can still kind of push the switch in further even when the kill switch lanyard is clipped over the key. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is this proper operation?

I think on the OMC, you push the key part way in and put the lanyard on and that enables it to run. You can still push it in to engage the primer solenoid (you should here the clicking with the key on). When the lanyard comes off, the key switch pops out which kills the engine. Maybe your key switch is stuck partway in allowing it to start/run without the lanyard. Or it's not wired up properly.

I have an Evinrude 50/35 outboard jet motor and I’m confused by the kill switch. I bought a new factory switch with the lanyard. The lanyard clips on the same place where the key goes and pushes the key in. When the lanyard comes off the button pops out and the engine stops. I can still start the engine without the lanyard connected. Is this correct? I thought when you pushed the key switch in it engaged the enricher solenoid? I can still kind of push the switch in further even when the kill switch lanyard is clipped over the key. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is this proper operation?
Yes, that is proper. The idea is if you get ejected from the boat, the kill stops the engine, but then your passengers can start back up and rescue you, even without the lanyard.

Personally, I think it's brilliant. Imagine a driver gets ejected, and then the passengers have to watch him drown because they can't go pick him up. If you don't have this system, ALWAYS have a second lanyard key taped or attached to the control. Mercury usually has a spot for one.

Latest posts