Extra led lighting….legal or not?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your set up that’s nice. I wish my little boat had more gunnel space on top. It was a trick to mount rod holders on the round surface even with the basses made to fit.The had green and returned them for the blue because of a couple of comments that green would interfere with the green nav light on the bow making it difficult for them to tell which side of the boat they where looking at. These are under the gunnel facing down but I see what you’re saying about the boat rocking and so forth. I only did the one side so it wouldn’t be to much but just enough to see by. I’ll see what it looks like on the water. They didn’t cost that much and I can remove them and clean the area with alcohol and put a different color cheaper than a citation would probably be. I read on Texas parks and wildlife website that they’re educating to freshwater lakes fisherman with warnings as of now. That’s going to depend on the officers mood though and if he finds other things wrong which the rest of my boat is to the letter. The new wiring is just did fuel lines everything. I’m only 16’ but I even have an extra fire extinguisher. One mounted on the bow and one on the rear seat. Everything organized and labeled in different amo boxes in the storage area under the seat like first aid kit, parts etc.
Maybe if he or she is impressed with all the work I’ve done I’ll get a one time pass to replace the lights. That’s if I hadn’t all ready. Maybe amber or some one suggested black light. I want something easy on the eyes so I can look back up and eyes can still see across the water.
Yes, it depends on the officer's mood.

For what it's worth, if you have straight gunnels, you can make light shields out of 1" PVC pipe. Warm up a 4" piece of pipe down one side with a heat gun or a torch, and split it with scissors. Then flex one of those sides straight until it looks like an inverted "J" or whatever shape you want. You now have a light shield you can mount anywhere. Fold the sides down, if needed.

Playing with PVC pipe is really easy and of fun, and kind of addictive. You can wear gloves if your hands aren't tough, and keep a wet cloth and water around to cool it quickly when you get what you like. I usually make one bend, cool it, then go to the next.

When done, you can spray any color you want, including aluminum, and you won't even notice them if they match fairly closely.

Next time I make some, I need to take video and post it, instead of always trying to explain. I guess I'm just a bit lazy.

I have a 12" 3 row lightbar mounted to the top of leaning post around the center console. I also have amber led lights across the transom for night fishing. I only use the lightbar on secluded rivers when it's necessary. Most the ramps I use have zero lights it's pretty handy for loading/docking too. The transom lights provide just enough glow to see the rods. Just about everybody in this area has all kinds of lights. Lots of hazards on the rivers and night fishing is pretty popular. Never seen dnr care unless someone was running around with a spotlight on blinding everyone.
Where I’m at there’s a lot of bad low water spots on the Colorado. Another reason I haven’t been on it yet. I’ve seen a lot of busted lower units and props. I’m content for now driving to my favorite lake and at he right time there’s a lot of creeks to venture into. I usually use the trolling motor when it starts getting a little questionable. I’ve bumped a lot of stuff hidden just under the water. I gotta weave my boat in and out so I don’t loose a transducer.

Yes, it depends on the officer's mood.

For what it's worth, if you have straight gunnels, you can make light shields out of 1" PVC pipe. Warm up a 4" piece of pipe down one side with a heat gun or a torch, and split it with scissors. Then flex one of those sides straight until it looks like an inverted "J" or whatever shape you want. You now have a light shield you can mount anywhere. Fold the sides down, if needed.

Playing with PVC pipe is really easy and of fun, and kind of addictive. You can wear gloves if your hands aren't tough, and keep a wet cloth and water around to cool it quickly when you get what you like. I usually make one bend, cool it, then go to the next.

When done, you can spray any color you want, including aluminum, and you won't even notice them if they match fairly closely.

Next time I make some, I need to take video and post it, instead of always trying to explain. I guess I'm just a bit lazy.
I’d like to see that video or some pictures. I like diy stuff like that. Especially when I can make it look clean by painting. I watch fishnstuff diy videos all the time. I have some scrap aluminum and closed cell foam board left from reflooring my boat. So I’m going to make my own planer boards. I’ve already made some of my own dragon weights.
Built mounting brackets for my bilge pump and float switch out of shaping aluminum and cutting pieces of a cutting board to adhere to the bottom of the aluminum boat and have something to screw into.
Next I’m building a shelter 12” high with 2 ends open to keep my portable epa fuel tank in the shade. The to will be a bait cutting station.
Also I need something to hold my anchor on the bow so I’m building a PCV holder attached to the back of the deck that the anchor will sit in up right. Got that idea from a gentleman on the site here.
I have some PCV laying around I’m going to try to do what you described.
I have a bunch leftover from replacing the watering system in the garden. I took a bunch of 3/4” and som T’s and made a support 4F50D622-2FC9-4144-8925-237B15189180.jpeg5BCCAECC-B84D-4610-BE82-CBC966A77BF0.jpegwith legs to support the boat cover.

Your boat cover looks great!

I have to make a light cover for a jon boat this week. I'll try to take video, but if not, I'll definitely take pics.

Latest posts