First boat for family fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
Newbie here. I am a kayak fisherman who is looking at getting a boat to take the rest of my family fishing with me. I have two smaller children (7 and 3 yrs old) and a wife. We have a canoe that we use to fish out of, but the wife has gotten sick of it and is not a fan. She wants something more roomy.

I want to start with something fairly basic so I can "learn my way up" in the boating world and not get stuck with maintenance or issues I don't understand and can't figure out myself. Aluminum boats seem to be my best bet in this regard. My budget is the $5k-$10k range.

I'm thinking of looking at this boat (or something similar if this one doesn't pan out.) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/191524052189254

My wife is more preferential to the pontoon boats. I actually love the idea of one of the smaller pontoons like the Gill Getter or the Bass Buggy. Pontoons just seem like a bit of a behemoth to me though and not sure how it would be for a first boat. Here's a larger one that's already set up a bit for fishing that I'd consider as well: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/304838180675270

Am I on the right track here with 16-17ft aluminums or possibly a pontoon? Anything I'm off base on as a new boater? I want to try to go as basic as possible while also keeping the family happy as I learn about maintaining and keeping up with a boat. Kayaks are so much easier! :lol:

z33tec said:
Am I on the right track here with 16-17ft aluminums or possibly a pontoon? I want to try to go as basic as possible while also keeping the family happy as I learn about maintaining and keeping up with a boat.
I'd opine that as a new boater, getting a newer or better quality rig will add to your enjoyment and ownership.

And if truly basic, I'd opt for a tiller controlled OB, and biggest/deepest V-hull 14' rig (but could go to 16') that has an interior section with a flat floor for the kids, that your budget will allow.

Looking at those pictures I'd caution you away from Force motors. Depending on the motor you could have an issue finding parts as the product line evolved over time as the company changed hands and ultimately was produced by Mercury before being shut down all together in the late 90's.

Just a follow up. Contacted the owner for the Sea Nymph and plan on taking a look at that one. I really prefer that style over the pontoons.

Any specifics I should keep an eye out for? Appears to be in very well kept condition.

Ask about the vro, some people disable them and run mix. That's fine as long as it was disabled correctly, many threads on this. Check the hull for damage. I'm on the other side of the river from Niagara NY so I'm not familiar with pricing there but here in Canuck bucks it seems a little high unless it's exceptional or comes with a top and electronics etc. That 70 should be good for 30-35 mph with a moderate load.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Ask about the vro, some people disable them and run mix. That's fine as long as it was disabled correctly, many threads on this. Check the hull for damage. I'm on the other side of the river from Niagara NY so I'm not familiar with pricing there but here in Canuck bucks it seems a little high unless it's exceptional or comes with a top and electronics etc. That 70 should be good for 30-35 mph with a moderate load.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been doing some research on the motor and the VRO does seem to be a debatable topic. Not quite sure if it's a bad thing or good and it seems some disable it and others don't. I'll be sure to ask if he's done anything with it.

It does seem to be in impeccable condition and he did say he had some sort of cover for it, not sure what it is but I'll find out tomorrow. For what it's worth, in the current market boats seem to be selling like hot cakes. Everything I've been interested in seems to be taken down/sale pending in a day or two before I have a chance to react. I think it has to do with people wanting to get out after this whole Covid lockdown. It's listed for $5,300, but I'll be satisfied to pay $5,000 if it's in the kind of shape it appears to be from the pictures.

I can already tell I'm just getting started down the rabbits whole of a whole new adventure lol. Have to learn about boat motors now.

They are good motors, lots of them out there still running as they should. It does look like a nice boat