First Boat /project 16ft Aluminum (Starcraft)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to decide what I want to do for seat brackets. I went to the local bass pro and the seats I like range anywhere from $50 to $75. It seems like there are a lot of options for mounting the seats but I'm trying to find an option that won't require drilling holes into the OEM aluminum bench seats. I plan to put 3/4" plywood over the bench tops then would like something that can bolt to the wood without having to cut a hole. For the front of the boat I may end up decking it and putting in a storage compartment, and up there I wouldn't mind installing one of those rounded swivel seat post brackets. I've used the seat brackets that just clamp to the bench in the past and I remember them being pretty unstable and not really a long term solution.

I am planning to paint the interior tomorrow morning if the weather holds up. I am using AIC 2k Urethane a single stage industrial application that I got from my local paint store. It is going to be a medium/light gray and I had them flatten the mix to a "satin" finish. I bought 2 quarts of the paint with hardener and the slow dry urethane reducer I purchased for the exterior paint is compatible. I also had to buy some more gun strainers, mixing buckets, etc.... in total it all came out to just shy of $140.

Maybe something like this mounted to the wood top of the bench: https://www.amazon.com/Wise-8WD15-Locking-Boat-Swivel/dp/B0009TO6NE/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1501258884&sr=1-1&keywords=wise+locking+swivel

Not sure about seat placement. I saw some seat slider brackets but they seem to have mixed reviews. I think for the back of the boat I'd like to run the tiller from the right rear of the boat. For the middle bench I could set up a seat to the left and then for the front I'll have to determine whether I want to build a deck and install a swivel post type mount or just leave it alone for now.

Maybe you could use attach aluminum to each end of the plywood and rivet it to flat bar running down and under the bench .. if you have access. For the rear swivel mount I bought a cheap two-piece and cut it down to about 3 inches.

water bouy said:
Maybe you could use attach aluminum to each end of the plywood and rivet it to flat bar running down and under the bench .. if you have access. For the rear swivel mount I bought a cheap two-piece and cut it down to about 3 inches.
Having trouble visualizing. What did you mean by the flat bar running under the bench. ? The support spars that attach gunwale to top of bench?

Painted interior today, reassembled transom and riveted the bench support spars/braces back on. Eventually will add floors, seats, want to carpet the wood floors and carpet wood for bench tops so I can mount swivel seat brackets to the wood. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Epoxy primer on inside with industrial /fleet (AIC) single stage urethane light gray satin finish for interior. Not perfect but better than I had hoped for my first try using automotive paints and HVLP. I spent hours taping and masking which I think really paid off because I had super clean lines. 20170729_160521.jpg
20170729_160529.jpg20170729_160537.jpg20170729_160705.jpg

Looks great. Nothing like a fresh, clean paint job. I really like that classic Crestliner combo of light colored wood and red...

Very nice. I was thinking if you frame around the bench on each end of the plywood with angle and flat you wouldn't have to drill into the bench. Just spitballing.

water bouy said:
Very nice. I was thinking if you frame around the bench on each end of the plywood with angle and flat you wouldn't have to drill into the bench. Just spitballing.
I'll take all of the ideas I can get! Thank you!

You're right about not wanting to drill holes in those thin hollow seats. The results of that are always marginal. Cover the bench top plywood with carpet then maybe bend some threaded rod into 2 big U bolts that you can use to go all the way around the aluminum seat and board to clamp on the ends.

Or you could consider just using 2" Velcro strips... There's another thread in the boat house where that is discussed.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43556

Latest posts