Fix etched aluminum hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkytech

Reaction score
I am new here and am excited to share ideas with all of you. I just bought my latest project, a 2002 Polar Kraft. The previous owner told me “he sprayed aluminum cleaner on the hull, didn’t see any immediate results, so he left it.” It obviously stained the aluminum. We tried buffing it out with a buffer and aluminum polish, but the marks are still there. Any ideas?

Trying not to paint it, as I like the aluminum finish. Might try wet sanding it before abandoning all hope. We have an orbital polisher and there are all sorts of pads available, which will hopefully keep the elbow grease to a minimum.

Thanks for the ideas. I was going to check with the previous owner and see what cleaner he used. I also wondered what diluted vinegar would do. If I have to go to the extreme of wet sanding, it wouldn’t hurt to try a few things beforehand.

I also read that scrubbing with WD-40 and 0000 steel wool sometimes works. Has anyone tried that? I contacted the previous owner to see what cleaner he used... hopefully nothing too strong. :)

I'd try the cheap white vinegar using a copper scrubbie pad, rinse well w/ fresh water ... I bet she shines right up! If blotchy, also try WD-40 on it, but would do the vinegar first.

Update: both 50/50 vinegar-water and WD-40 worked with a stainless scrubbing pad. The WD worked much quicker, but both worked. At least it’s not etched as I originally feared. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

This worked best for me . . . after trying everything

BUFFINGset.jpg

Attachments

• BUFFING3.jpg
    BUFFING3.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 426
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 411
A few more pre-motor install and transom rebuild

Attachments

• 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 408
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 408
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 408
Impressive! We have a professional grade polisher already, just need the right pads and compound. I’ll go for more of a matte finish on mine for lower maintenance.

Sounds like you are good to go . . . I had the best luck with the dark brown Tripoli compound

Sparkytech said:
Update: both 50/50 vinegar-water and WD-40 worked with a stainless scrubbing pad. The WD worked much quicker, but both worked. At least it’s not etched as I originally feared. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Hi Sparkytech. This sounds promising. If you don't mind, what stainless scrubbing pad did you use?

I figure after almost 3 years I might actually clean the boat. Alum cleaner followed by your method using WD-40 sounds like a winner. I just don't want to get the wrong scrubbing pad and end up with a bunch of scratches.

Thanks.

I used one of those stainless pads that look like a ball of metal shavings. I have tried many things to remove the oxidation and runs from the previous owners unknown cleaner. I am currently using that same type of pad with Bar Keepers Friend, and it’s working better. It’s only $2 a can, and I’ve made one pass over the boat with one can so far. In my case, I am ok with the scratches, because after it’s all clean, I’m going to buff it with a somewhat coarse pad on a polisher to get a uniform “industrial finish.” If anyone has suggestions of a chemical way to clean without removing the decals, please let me know!

Latest posts