Fixing motor safety issues on used Yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody0707

Reaction score
I bought a boat that came with a 2000 Yamaha F25. The previous owner converted the push start to a key and removed the kill switch from the tiller. The key switch is a Yamaha switch made for larger Yamaha's. It looks like part # 6X4-82510-00-00. I don't mind the key as it provides a little bit of safety just by removing the key. However, I need to add the kill switch back onto the motor. I have already purchased a kill switch and know where it goes on the tiller. I also know one of the wires goes to a ground. Where do I attach the other wire?

Typically the kill switch just grounds out the ignition coils. I would look at the wires going to the key switch. One of them goes to ground, the other should go to the ignition module. That would be the one to use.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Typically the kill switch just grounds out the ignition coils. I would look at the wires going to the key switch. One of them goes to ground, the other should go to the ignition module. That would be the one to use.

This is the wiring color diagram. but I did notice the black wire on the back of the switch is not connected to anything which doesn't make sense to me as it should be the ground wire but maybe it is for the kill switch?
electrical-pins.png

This diagram might explain the black wire:

attachment.php

You are right, the black wire coming from the 7 pin connector typically splits and goes to the key switch and then is used to ground backlights on gauges and whatnot. The white wire comes from the CDI box, so when you turn the key off it closes the white to black loop and grounds it out killing the signal before the box send fire to the coils and if the emergency kill switch is pulled it does the same thing. Where are you planning in installing the emergency kill? The white wire on the CDI box should have a bullet connector you can unplug and then tap the kill switch into. You can use any ground too but the black wire from the CDI box should also lead to a common ground which would be the easiest to use I bet. There is a chance this doesn't align with your motor but this is how my 1988 30hp 2 stroke is.

Latest posts