flatbotm's 1542 build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatbotm

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Alumacraft 1542 for cheap $600 for everything pictured here.. The boat is a 2006 and included fish finder, live well, bilge pump, anchor, oars, life vests, marine battery. I felt like I had hit the lotto. :LOL2: Thats where the story begins.

photo-91.jpg

photo-90.jpg

photo-92.jpg

hauling her home.

photo-93.jpg

Even though the previous owner had done some mods that made the boat look good from afar there were lots of flaws. The front deck was propped up with some 2x4s and 4x4s that ran right thru the hatch door. The front had no seating options. I constructed a new front deck from good ole southern yellow pine tongue and groove, glued and screwed with stainless hardware. I created two compartments one for my fuel tank and the other for everything else.

photo-104.jpg

photo-105.jpg

Next I ordered some seats and swivel ease posts from sportsmans guide. The seats were on sale for $26. Cheap! The seat mounts and posts were not so cheap.

photo-106.jpg

photo-107.jpg

Thanks guys! Reed your build was the first one I read on tinboats. I was researching consoles because that is where my boat is going.

Next I coated the front deck with sikkens semi transparent deck stain. After a few coats it is not so transparent. The color is sagebrush. Sikkens is some thick stuff.

first coat
photo-108.jpg

second coat
photo-109.jpg

photo-110.jpg

after the second coat it got a little slick so I will be adding some grip tape at some point.

Yes that is my American Bulldog "Loki" His favorite thing to do right now is help on the boat.

Loki.jpg

I picked up a older evinrude 25 hp tiller so I can enjoy the boat until I get the parts together to go console steer. She runs good and electric start too.
photo-111.jpg

I gave the ole evinrude a makeover last weekend.

photo-112.jpg

I used engine paint from napa. I looked for some marine paint but a guy at napa said he had painted a outboard with the same stuff and it held up good. The decals I purchased from eBay for $10 shipped. The guy even sent me a bunch of extra small ones for free. I was going to restore it to original but I thought it would look better with my od boat this way.

I found another great deal on craigslist. I picked up a Minn Kota all terrain bow mount trolling motor with foot control for $40. I built a aluminum riser to mount it on but I cant decide how to mount it. I would like to mount it down the left side of the front deck but I have read that it should be centered or a foot off center. Does anyone have any input on mounting bow mount trolling motors on a jon boat? Thanks!

This may help as I had the same question.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17306&hilit=+trolling+motor

After reading that I'm going to mount it down the side. I read you build thread earlier and it makes me want a bigger boat. I also wished I had gone all aluminum with the front deck. Southern yellow is here to stay because it is done, its nice, and oh it was free except for the stain. It did give me the Idea for though for maybe replacing my doors on the front compartments with aluminum ones. Thanks for the help.

I tig welded a riser for the trolling motor to rest on so it would clear the front lip of the boat. I decided to make it a inch or so higher than it needed to be so your toes could still slide underneath the space when your casting.

photo-113.jpg

Not too much shiny stuff for this boat I don't want to scare the ducks or the fish off. So I gave it the olive drab treatment.

photo-114.jpg

I decided to tear out the small rear console the previous owner had made today. After pulling up the carpet it was obvious it all had to go! The previous over was a master at covering up bad woodwork with carpet.

before
photo-92.jpg

not sure what was with the patches of warped plywood.
photo-122.jpg

I didn't even know the switch panel was hinged.
photo-117.jpg

out with it
photo-120.jpg

He used non stainless hardware so some of the screws were rusted out on the heads so I had to drill the heads of the screws off

channel locks worked to get whats left of the screws out.

photo-119.jpg

Now I have to figure out what Im going to to with it. I've been thinking of going to a steering console. The only thing I am keeping is the fish finder and the waterproof switch panel from the rear console. I have a third matching seat and pedestal set up right now. I was thinking of mounting one of the base plates in back so I can still use the boat as a tiller while Im collecting steering console conversion parts. Does a tiller set up have any advantages over a console steered boat?

photo-121.jpg

Latest posts