Floatie

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I found a bullet shaped buoy floating around in the middle of the lake. Nothing attached to it. Looks like the pic below. Has a hole lengthwise in the center. I thought these were used for crab traps or something. No idea how they work. What would be the purpose of something like this in a freshwater lake?

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 7.58.23 AM.png

I've seen buoys like that strung together to indicate a safe swimming zone in a state park. Maybe some private residents have similar uses?

Last edited:
I see similiar floats attached to nets for commercial fishermen here in Lake Erie. The top line connecting the two flags has a series of these floats inline to keep the net from falling to the bottom. Not sure what yours is for for !

I found a bullet shaped buoy floating around in the middle of the lake. Nothing attached to it. Looks like the pic below. Has a hole lengthwise in the center. I thought these were used for crab traps or something. No idea how they work. What would be the purpose of something like this in a freshwater lake?

View attachment 112900
Temporary race or training marker maybe?

In all likelihood, it is an Outrigger float for a kayaker. It happens that I am putting two of them on my yak this week. The ones in this picture are inflatable. Many people use solid ones, too. https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Kayak-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
71zfQI+wN3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I see a lot of guys fishing off kayaks at the lake I've been going to this year. Including those fancy Hobie pedal models and even one with an electric TM.

Is your outrigger adding a lot of stability?
I haven't had it in the water yet, but... yes, it will add substantial stability. I've added outriggers on a couple of prior kayaks. Most of the time, I found that I didn't need them. But, I'm getting older (83) and stiffer..Ha Ha. ...so, I am putting these on for an extra safety factor. I had the yak out without them the other day, and it felt a bit tippy. R

Latest posts