Flotation pods….weld or bolt them on?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck89

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1980’s Polar Kraft boat that I’m about to dive into. I’m into this boat for basically nothing so I intend on putting a couple of bucks into it for mods. I am making it into a duck hunting ONLY boat and was going to install some flotation pods on the rear for a larger mud motor. Here is my question. Has anyone ever bolted them on or should I really look at only having them TIG’d on. I cannot TIG weld aluminum myself and would have to have a shop do it. The ‘beaver tail’ pods that I was looking at allow for them to be bolted on as well, which I could do myself. I need to replace the transom in the boat so I’m not opposed to just bolting them on.

Does anyone on here have experience with the pods and, if so, what direction would you recommend I go? My main thing with having them welded on is that I don’t want to pay a crazy welding bill when I am only into this boat and trailer for a touch over $250 right now. Like I said earlier, I’m not opposed to putting some money into the boat, I’d just rather not have it all be in labor costs 😉

Thanks in advance!

I have seen several bolted on. but I will admit they are the ones that were brought to me to weld after the fact. Most either hit something and pulled the bolts through or cracked around the holes. So I am not a fan.

I fabbed and installed pods. My recommendation is to go with welding. It spreads the load better than bolting. If you decide to bolt them you can make it stouter by using plates similar to transom support plates, those that reinforce a transom when bolting on a motor. I believe that Beavertail also has a pdf for bolting them in place. I just prefer to weld them.

Yo ! Duck!

Lookee what I found on a search: https://tinboats.net/forum/search.php?keywords=boat+outriggers

You got some reading to do before you purchase.

Best wishes.

Latest posts