Freshwater trolling motors in salt water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagante

Reaction score
Freshwater trolling motors in salt water​

Does anybody use freshwater trolling motors in salt water? I know to wash them down really good after use but I’m having a very difficult time finding a saltwater motor for my boat. Not much available other than freshwater. Of course they are much cheaper but available. This would be a bow mount foot controlled type motor

I wouldn't - saltwater motors use slightly different parts in certain sections of the build. Use a freshwater rated TM in salt - and say goodbye to any warranty.

Far as models rated for saltwater use.
Minn Kota Riptide series - everything from PowerDrive through Ulterra
MotorGuide XI3 and XI5 both have saltwater rated versions.

Check out Newport Vessels trolling motors. They get good reviews and are reasonably priced. Can be used in salt water. I got one for Christmas haven't used it yet. Waiting for April.

I wouldn’t buy a new freshwater TM to use in salt but I once bought a boat with a freshwater foot controlled TM that I planned to replace as soon as it died and it lasted 2-3 seasons and was still going strong (but ugly) when I changed it out.
So if you can find one cheap I say slap it on and go fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was comparing components between the regular and riptide versions of the terrova and everything below the waterline was actually the same (powerhead, seals, armature...) It was the digital components in the base which were different. That makes me suspicious to use a freshwater trolling motor for any length of time on the salt.

onthewater102 said:
I was comparing components between the regular and riptide versions of the terrova and everything below the waterline was actually the same (powerhead, seals, armature...) It was the digital components in the base which were different. That makes me suspicious to use a freshwater trolling motor for any length of time on the salt.

Now that's Interesting :shock:

Latest posts