fuel line keep falling off my 2000 25hp Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojo101084

Reaction score
I have 2 issues with my 2000 25 hp evinrude.

First after taking it to a repair guy now my fuel line wont secure at all. It seems that it is not going in far enough for the clip to engage. So we thought that the fitting on the gas line was busted. We purchased a new fitting and it as well will not secure. Please help

Next we are having a issue with our motor running rough at low idle in gear. As soon as we get on plain it runs like a champ. We took it in and the guy rebuilt carb. This made it 75% better but still same issue.

What brand fitting did you purchase?
Rough running at low idle in gear is usually an overly rich mixture. That engine has an idle mixture adjustment. Lean it out around 1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time and let it stabilize for about 30 seconds before another adjustment. Lean it until the engine sneezes and quits or just sneezes and then richen mixture a little.
Secondly the engine may be missing a thermostat. Needs to be good and warm at an idle.
Also, what spark plugs? That engine was designed in conjunction with Champion spark plug. They are the best idling and running plugs bar none.

I have 2 issues with my 2000 25 hp evinrude.

First after taking it to a repair guy now my fuel line wont secure at all. It seems that it is not going in far enough for the clip to engage. So we thought that the fitting on the gas line was busted. We purchased a new fitting and it as well will not secure. Please help

Next we are having a issue with our motor running rough at low idle in gear. As soon as we get on plain it runs like a champ. We took it in and the guy rebuilt carb. This made it 75% better but still same issue.
I bought an older 12 ft Mirrocraft with 15 hp Johnson last year and got a good price, since it'd been badly neglected and had multiple problems. Some of them recurred and gave me fits.

Biggest thing was water in the gas - several times - and the carb doesn't have a drain plug, so it was remove the carb to drain the float bowl - which means (to do it right) pull the flywheel and starter each time. (that manual starter is a raging PIA) I finally did what others had recommended and switched to non-ethanol fuel. For the amount I used on that little motor, the higher price wasn't that big a deal.

Then it was sucking air - turned out to be multiple locations. 1st, and hardest to isolate, was in the fuel pickup tube that actually sits in the tank. Where it plugs onto the fitting on top of the tank, the hard tube had worked itself to a larger diameter over the years. Easy - warm it real good and soft - gently - with a heat gun and put a couple of zip ties around it, very tightly, with zips staggered.

The fitting on the side of the motor that the fuel line plugs onto - that was an awful mess and difficult to reach, but pulled it out and cleaned it thoroughly and reassembled. Installed new fuel line from there to fuel pump, just for good measure. Also needed new o-ring on the fuel line fitting, and that one is hard to find and a beast to replace.....it's easier and not all that expensive to just replace it.

The fuel line turned out to be that cheap grey plastic junk with the separate plastic liner.....which had begun to disintegrate and pieces of it were clogging the fittings in the rest of the hose and squeeze bulb. Replaced it.

Yah, I got a good price on it, but tore enuf hair out to more than make up for it. When you have multiple problems, make a change and nothing happens.....after a while it gets infuriating. It does run good now, tho'.

I did have more problems with that motor, but unrelated, so won't go into them now.

Last edited:
Using E 10 does not cause moisture/ water in your gas, just more tails to scare people away. All rubber hoses, fuel lines and vacuum hoses dont last forever and need replaced every few years or problems arrise. When you stated badly neglected...right there means lots of problems !!! People often but old poorly neglected motors then complain about all there issues. If anyone decides to buy a " neglected" motor....be prepared to replace just about everything to make it new again !!!

Latest posts