FYI - Some Gen 2 Humminbird Units Now Available...more soon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
With Black Friday coming up, I bet a lot of members are waiting on a good depth/fish finder deal to pop up. I am in the same position. I currently have a Humminbird Helix 5 SI/GPS at the stern with a transom mount transducer. I was planning on getting a new Helix 7 DI/GPS for the bow with a trolling motor mount. However, some of you may want to hold off just a bit.

Humminbird has come out with the Generation 2 Helix units now....the Helix 5 G2 is already available and the Helix 7, 9, 10, and 12 models go on sale December 16th I believe. The Gen2 units all come with CHIRP sonar standard as well as Autochart Live. The Helix 9, 10, and 12 come with "Mega Side Imaging" which is supposed to be even better detail. Also, the Helix 7 will now have a model that is networkable (model G2N) as well as ipilot compatible. I'm sure the price point of the G2's will be higher than their original unit was but they do have extra features.

I plan on holding out until the Helix 7 and 9 G2N units are released because I really want the Helix 7 DI/GPS so that I can network it and have the option to use ipilot (if I can ever afford it). Even though my Helix 5 is a G1 and not networkable, my hopes are that the used prices on Helix 9's go down as the G2's are released because I would love to replace that 5 with a 9 which I could then network with the 7 in order to share maps and waypoints without removing the card every time I stopped the boat. The G1 Helix 9's also had Autochart Live standard too which is something I really want as well.

Anyways, just wanted to give yall a heads up. If you go buy a new Helix 7 through 12 this Friday you will be buying the G1 models so even if you get what seems like a great deal they may be that price anyways when the G2's come out. Also, if you are buying a Helix 5, don't assume that since the G2 versions of those are released that that is what you are getting. Double check the box.

I'm personally one of the members in the market this Friday for a fish finder/gps. I was pretty disappointed with the gander mountain add, but cabelas has some good deals on the lowrance hook 7&9. But just like your talking about the hook isn't by any means a new model anymore with the elite Ti out now. As with every year. They'll sell a bunch of what they have left then upgrade.

Do I go with the 9 or 7 though!?!???! 7 comes with lake insight and a suncover for 350 or the 9 for 550??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch Release Repeat said:
I'm personally one of the members in the market this Friday for a fish finder/gps. I was pretty disappointed with the gander mountain add, but cabelas has some good deals on the lowrance hook 7&9. But just like your talking about the hook isn't by any means a new model anymore with the elite Ti out now. As with every year. They'll sell a bunch of what they have left then upgrade.

Do I go with the 9 or 7 though!?!???! 7 comes with lake insight and a suncover for 350 or the 9 for 550??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still new to modern electronics but in my limited experience with my Helix 5 it is easy to see why bigger is better. When I try to split the screen between side imaging, down imaging, and sonar it is just waaaaaay too small to make out. So I think if you plan on doing split screen, especially splitting one side again to get a third view pulled up, the 9 would be best.

Latest posts