Garboard drain plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufrog1

Reaction score
I've a 1969 sea nymph with the old screw in drain plug in the floor. I've been using one of the expandable rubber plugs but it always leaks a little and I'd love to find something that would work to screw in like the original. My trial and error research leads me to believe this is a 1" pipe thread, however I can only get the pipe to screw in bottom to top, and that would not seal the hole in the floor . Therefore I assume the original plug had left hand treads, a large head with some sort of seal or o ring under the head and something to grab hold of to turn it tight. Where o where would a fellow find something like that?

Attachments

• drain1.JPG
    drain1.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 1
  • drain 2.JPG
    drain 2.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 1
I used a trailer hitch ball. I cut it down to length and ground it to shape of the original and used a rubber washer made from a innertube. About the only thing I could find with the right size and threads.

If not left hand threads from the bottom then not left hand threads from the top. Take a search for "1" brass plugs NPT" or search "Garboard Drain plug". Maybe some come with gaskets, but I think I would try teflon tape to see if that seals things up. Maybe the threads are bunged up, IDK.

Garboard Drain Plug:

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.06.32 AM.png

Last edited:
This should work, but is pretty expensive for what it is:
https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Crestliner-Drain-Plug-Floor/dp/B00L4G365K

I got one from Great Lakes Skipper a long time ago. I think it cost more to ship than the plug itself.

If you can screw it in from the bottom, it's not left hand threaded.
A plug like Ldubs posted above can be found in the plumbing section of Home Depot, Lowes or other hardware stores and should work with a good wrap of teflon tape applied before inserting.

This should work, but is pretty expensive for what it is:
https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Crestliner-Drain-Plug-Floor/dp/B00L4G365K

I got one from Great Lakes Skipper a long time ago. I think it cost more to ship than the plug itself.

If you can screw it in from the bottom, it's not left hand threaded.
A plug like Ldubs posted above can be found in the plumbing section of Home Depot, Lowes or other hardware stores and should work with a good wrap of teflon tape applied before inserting.
The vintage plug looks like what it needs if I can just figure how to get it to thread from the top. The setup requires that it seal above the floor.

The vintage plug looks like what it needs if I can just figure how to get it to thread from the top. The setup requires that it seal above the floor.

OK, so here is what I think could be happening. There is a hole drilled thru your hull. That clamshell shaped drain fixture with 1" NPT thread is riveted to the bottom of your hull. You may be having a problem threading a plug from the inside because the hole thru your hull which is not threaded is getting in the way.

Or, I could be all wet.

OK, so here is what I think could be happening. There is a hole drilled thru your hull. That clamshell shaped drain fixture with 1" NPT thread is riveted to the bottom of your hull. You may be having a problem threading a plug from the inside because the hole thru your hull which is not threaded is getting in the way.

Or, I could be all wet.
looks to me like you are correct I'm no9t sure how to thread it but eventually I will manage I believe

Those drain fittings are threaded. Your threads on the inside may have been damaged or have a little corrosion. Grease the threads and screw it all the way through from the bottom, working it in and out a few times. That should clear the threads and make it easier to screw the plug in from the inside.

I had to do the same thing with mine. If I recall, I had to hit it with a wire brush because it was pretty badly corroded. But once I got it clear, it worked great. I really like those bottom drains, as they drain completely.

Those drain fittings are threaded. Your threads on the inside may have been damaged or have a little corrosion. Grease the threads and screw it all the way through from the bottom, working it in and out a few times. That should clear the threads and make it easier to screw the plug in from the inside.

I had to do the same thing with mine. If I recall, I had to hit it with a wire brush because it was pretty badly corroded. But once I got it clear, it worked great. I really like those bottom drains, as they drain completely.
I ll give that a go thanks

If he encounters a problem with the plug would running a 1" NPT thread tap be a good next step? Probably pick one up at Harbor Freight for pretty cheap.

Sure. That's not a bad idea at all, if the plug alone doesn't work. And if the threads aren't right, you could put a little oil on it and make some nice threads. Not sure how much a tap that big would cost, but HFT would probably be the place to get it.

The only thing about my previous advice is on my boat with the bottom plug, you could not get to it from the bottom because there was a clamshell-like fitting under it. It was made so that when you are running at speed, you can pull the plug and any water in the bilge will get vacuumed out. I used it to get residual rain water out. I like a dry bilge!

But in his case, he said he could screw it in from the bottom, so either the clamshell can be removed, or he has a different type of fitting under there.

I was able to run a pipe up from the bottom and finally work it through the floor by turning it back and forth. I think I had a situation where use of the rubber plug had deposited rubber into the threads and until it was all cleaned out the pipe wouldn't thread all the way. Anyway, once through the top I again tried to thread it down from the top and it worked. My new "vintage crestliner plug" should arrive tomorrow and I think it will now complete this issue.

issue resolved, after getting the rubber out of the threads the crestliner plug fits perfectly. Thanks for the assistance.

Attachments

• drain2.JPG
    drain2.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 2
  • plug2.JPG
    plug2.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 2
  • plug1.JPG
    plug1.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 2
issue resolved, after getting the rubber out of the threads the crestliner plug fits perfectly. Thanks for the assistance.
Thanks for all the information on the drain plug. I have the same setup on my Arkansas Traveler. However the threads are pretty bunged up. Also I thought NPT fittings are tapered thread so the farther you tighten them the tighter they get. My drain has the shield on the bottom so the pipe plug bottoms out before it seals. Waiting for warmer weather than I will be back working on the leaky rivets and the drain plug. Great site great knowledgeable people always willing to help. Thank You

Latest posts